Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5281 mxman2k, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    (OP)
    Quite possible, as it seems a well known tweak, but the difference is that the one in MRP is created during OOBE and is auto-translated, then a bit of eye candy added with the respective icons.

It uses a Powershell single line of code within the registry so when the user selects either 'Private' or 'Public' a quick P/Shell window appears, closes that quickly and then a UAC prompt to allow the switch over.

It was going to be for Windows 8.x/10 but as mentioned previously the translation part went a bit strange so i decided to lock it for Win 10 only until i can get it to translate correctly on 8.x too - hopefully for version 118. :)

I tried on Win 7 but due to the PS 'cmdlet' that it uses, it required v3.x minimum, so could not be used as 7 has v2.x by default.

Error checks are in place and if certain criteria is not met then MRP will auto disable the option. If the translation method fails it will default to English spelling too, (hopefully).

There is another Category that can be added - 'Domain' but decided to leave that one alone as it can get quite complicated and i not wish to make any mistakes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    With a bit of investigation and the use of a Windows 8.1 laptop just in for upgrading to a SSD, i have now hopefully sorted the 'Network Category' option's auto-translation and Icons, so it will now work on Win 8.x and 10 as i had originally planned. :)

The main Header icon may change depending on the OS as it depends on what is stored within 'Imageres.dll' at the '-6203' location. The 'Private' (-1170) / 'Public' (-1171) sub-menu icons should be the same for all the supported OS's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    MRP has grown so much since the original dev Searchengine created it. Nice job mxman2k. :)

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5284 mxman2k, Sep 23, 2019
    (OP)
    I think the most important change i made was adding the options part, although it started with about 5 or 6 mixed options it is now well over 120! :eek:

Majority of the core code is same as it was when SearchEngine and yourself was editing the project(s).

However some parts have had to be modified or even totally re-written due to the changes have been made in the supported OS's - Win 10 is always changing and it is a cat and mouse game at the best of times.:D

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5285 mxman2k, Sep 23, 2019
    (OP)
  6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP 117 is at BC 8 stage - took a bit longer than expected to get this far due to that new translated 'Network Category' option also a weird abort bug which was not actually to do with the project itself.

This gave me time to check a lot of code to be sure and to add new 'debug1' log lines for the first 45 options, depending on OS etc how many at this stage of the processing are listed in the log to help in any troubleshooting when required.

All being well it will be baselined and released within the next 24 hours -- if nothing else causes a delay! :)

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Not long now as just compiling everything ready to upload. :)

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5290 mxman2k, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    (OP)
    MRP 117 has been uploaded, 2nd post's download link, password and hashes have been updated. :)

+ Updated SLP-Key and Certificate routines so if for any reason a SLP-Key or Cert cannot be allocated a code/message will be shown within the log(s). This only covers OS's that use the SLIC, SLP-Key and Certificate combinations.

+ Added Windows 10 (19h1+) disable 'Activity History' option. This stops the majority of the user's activities being sent out. There are also some firewall blocks added/set too. [**]

+ Added Windows 8.x/10 'Prevent Telemetry' option this will turn off most of the 'Telemetry' logging, such as CEIP, Digitrack etc. Plus some sections in the 'Settings App' may be greyed out, this is normal because some of the 'Telemetry' parts are policy edits and are disabled when this option is used. [**]

[**] Note: Using either one or both of the above options you may notice some OOBE screens do not show. This is a odd side effect but MRP should set the 'Telemetry' ones to 'off' - always check later to make any adjustments as required.

+ Fixed the 'EnhancedSearch' option so that it now always sets this flag providing that 'SSDTweaks' or 'SearchIndexing' is not used as MRP will not set this option if for any reason the 'WSearch' service is not running.

+ Added new option for Windows 8.x/10 Only - 'Network Category' desktop context-menu this allows you to switch the current network location between 'Private' or 'Public' easier than going through Settings/Control Panel. This uses Powershell to perform the switch over and you will see a PS window appear after a second or so close then you will see the UAC prompt to permit the change.

+ Added new debug lines to the 'Enhanced' Debug1.log, (if used), this will list up to 45 options depending on OS etc. This is to help troubleshoot if any aborts happen during the first part of MRP's processing.

+ Updated some error checking and other informational text in the log{s}.

++ Forgot to write that the 'Network Category' Context-Menu option if used then the wording should be auto-translated into the native OS's Language.

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP 118 is already in the planning/action stage :D

Q: Will there be any new options?
    A: Maybe at least 1 (Show 'Classic Menus' such as File|Edit|View etc - for all supported OS's).

Have had a couple of reports via PM that sometimes the 'Remove Library Folders' option did not always clear them from some 3rd party program's file save selection windows, {mostly on 64 bit OS's}, hopefully i have now managed to address that issue for Windows 10 which it was reported that it glitched on.

Not tested the above at this time as all code is still in the editor and not compiled for testing at the moment.

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Fixed a small oversight in which when on 19h1+ the Cortana icon was showing on the taskbar when the option to 'Block Cortana' was used even though clicking it nothing happened. The icon is now hidden when the option is set as Yes.

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5296 mxman2k, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    (OP)
  13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I wasn't sure if the safe ones got reinstalled, no one has mentioned anything, i just assumed they did not.

Thanks for letting me know that the selected ones stay gone even after may CU's/OS Upgrades. :)

OneDrive seems to be one aggressive bugger! But it usually gets installed when installing the later Office packages unless you tell it not to install - but i bet it sneaks it on anyway.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I didn't keep an eye on it, i just noticed it once being reinstalled at sometime :D

15. bundyal

bundyal MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2014
    I have install Windows 10 Pro v1903 - 19H1 build 18362.356 Dutch installed.
    I have no apps installed. It worked.

1) I have not onedrive in my start menu, it is working.

2)
    # Windows 10 RS3 onward Only
    # Remove 3D Objects folder from 'ThisPC' view.
    # Default No.

:Remove3DObjects=Yes

I have the 3DObjects dir on my pc, it is not working

3) Do you have an option for this ?
    Install during Windows 10
    Turn off search, display search box

Thanks