Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    #5761 rhahgleuhargh, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    I use an autounattended file to avoid any user interaction during my tests in VM, and to directly format the disk when I delete previous installation. I launch the process and do something else until it's finished in background. I did exactly the same thing with previous version that worked.
    Here is my setupcomplete.cmd file, as you can read, I removed the cmd that deletes folder's content :
    @echo off
    cd %~dp0
    start /wait %systemroot%\Setup\Scripts\7z.exe /S
    start /wait %systemroot%\Setup\Scripts\DXrtAiO.exe
    start /wait %systemroot%\Setup\Scripts\Firefox.exe
    msiexec.exe /i "PowerToysSetup.msi" /qn /norestart

exit
    You'll find other requested files in the .zip archive. These are extracted from my previous VM that I created without setupcomplete file, I deleted my last VM. I'll do an other test, I noticed that an error message appeared (no key or such service is present) during Apps use Dark theme or block advertising within the OS tweak. But this message doesn't appear in any log file. So my next test will be without these tweaks.

Attached Files:

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    From Project.log:
    [USRAC] Error: No UserID - Unable to apply the User Account Pictures.

:g: something has upset WIndows's setup, the 'normal' username was not created as no uSID was found (which is a long set of numbers that relate to the username)...

I notice in the xml (autounattend) that you have created the username but no password was set, i'am sure that a password must be set too - which can be disabled later in settings/control panel once all the OS has loaded up...

As I not use the xml way so cannot really be of much help with that side of the equation.

At a guess it is the xml which has an error of some kind (password not set?) which has confused the Windows setup and in turn MRP...

If the uSID is not present then some options will fail to 'set' because it is reliant on the uSID being present to make sure the options are set once the Windows Setup has completed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    #5763 rhahgleuhargh, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    OK thank you for the tip. I'm doing a test without the autounattended file and with all the tweaks. I'll report in 20 min
    EDIT : no, same problem without the xml file.
    Only some parts of the tweaks are applied. Maybe it's due to newer version of VirtualBox.

Attached Files:

• logs.7z
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views:
  4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    All our internal beta tests etc are done without any xml files and so all options available for the installed OS should be set - as well as any User Account Pictures from the theme, if a theme was used either by DMI/Customtheme etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    @mxman2k
    I've edited my previous post. No way without xml file.

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    hmm it could be as VirtualBOX has had a few updates recently and i not used that for ages.

It still seems to affect the uSID part :g: which then affects some options from setting... :g:

7. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I installed a real machine in december witht previous version of MRP without any problem. For real machines I off course don't use any unattended file, and less tweaks depending machine's owner.
    Previous versions of VirtualBox induced memory access errors with recent 10 previews and Linux distros, so I migrated to newest version last week.

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Maybe one of the 'fixes' to VBox has caused another problem elsewhere - the domino effect, fix one thing another crops up, hmm that sounds like m$'s quality control recently :p

I personally use VMWare, i used to use VBox but years ago - when i first took over the MRP, but i had all sorts of problems which at the time i thought was my PC's hardware acting up... I gave up on Vbox when one of the Vbox updates caused mayhem for me in early 2017.

Any virtual machine (whoever created the software) will have that element of problems as after all it is emulating a PC, bios and all...

9. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Tried the VM with WMWare : same result !
    Second test without the tweak "block advertising within the OS", and... all is working except "unpin the mail icon from taskbar", icon is still there.
    I'll do a new test without this tweak in VBox tomorrow.

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5770 mxman2k, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    (OP)
    I am unsure why it is not working fully, the area's of code for those options has not been changed since they was added. I am wondering if m$ have changed something yet again and not updated any documentation, not that they always do any way.

The block adverts routine is quite extensive as there are so many elements to alter, and if the 'add phone' option is used then some parts are put back to original to allow the phone bit to work.

Gets a bit complicated to explain as now so much is interconnected within the Win 10 OS.

The mail un-pin was flaky when i first added it and then found that m$ had altered something, so i managed to re-adjust my code to compensate, looks like they may of fiddled with stuff yet again in a later CU/build. :g:

Cat and Mouse game springs to mind. :D

I will try my best to fix the glitches while MRP v123 is still in Beta stage.

*Edit*
    I believe i have found the glitch.... Testing 2nd attempt at fixing it, the fault also affected the un-pin 'Store' icon area too as it all was interconnected....

*Edit2*
    All seems to be back to in fully working order for those affected options. :)

Phew!

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5771 mxman2k, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    (OP)
  12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  14. rcstar6696

rcstar6696 MDL Senior Member

Jun 11, 2017
    #5774 rcstar6696, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    -snip-

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5775 mxman2k, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    (OP)
  16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Fixed:)

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5777 mxman2k, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    (OP)
    May of sorted the Mail Icon not unpinning in certain scenarios --- in our internal testing the re-tweaked way seems to work as it should without the slim menu+taskbar clean xml method. :)

I will leave that option in now it has been coded and does actually work for those what want a slim menu and a cleaner taskbar.

More tests will be done but it all looks promising as i have also adjusted the code in a similar way for the Windows 8.1 thinner borders option, so that may no longer require two reboots to make that 'take'...

*Edit* The w8.1 thin borders option/tweak still requires two reboots/sign-out cycles - was worth a try.

18. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP is now at Test Candidate 7 stage and will move into the RC stage shortly, hoping for a short test cycle now as all seems to be complete and operational. :)

A few things to tidy up and the change-log to do, so by the end of this week MRP v123.0 will be ready for action, it may be sooner, if other tests come back OK.

The latest changes to the code base may add a few extra seconds on at the end of the installation but this is to make sure all used or pre-set options etc are fully optimized etc.