Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    If the OS image has been 'edited' to say remove certain elements etc, MRP may malfunction on some options, but there is a lot of error checking within the project code so that is hopefully mitigated as much as possible, but in your case of the 'Task Manager' crashing/freezing i doubt it is related to anything with this project...

All our beta tests are done using a non-modified ISO image -- apart from any updates/CU's added at some stage, the image(s) are not otherwise edited to remove/add anything.

I am not saying that is why it may be freezing/crashing etc, but maybe one of the symptoms of a weird acting installation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP 125 is now at RC2 stage :)

All being well it all should be ready for release Monday/Tuesday as my work commitments have taken a lot of my time the past few days so i not had much time to get things done i wanted, hopefully tomorrow i will get a night off work (famous last words)..

Final testing continues... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP v125.0 Baseline has been uploaded, 2nd post download link, password and hashes updated. :)

+ Added some new W10 options:
    --> Win7 style 'Battery UI', 'Volume UI' and 'Battery UI' - the Battery one will only work if the device can be run on batteries such as a Laptop etc.

--> Also 'Network UI', this is like the one from Win8.1 'flyout' some prefer this version than the newer Win 10 one.

+ Re-Enable System Restore feature on Windows 10 that is OFF by default.

+ Updated the log name(s) that have more info in the filename for easier referencing.

+ Updated the MRP Ini Creator with the new options and added new wording/explanations for some options which hopefully will clear up some reports of some OS feature not working as it should, such as the copy/paste in Edge/Apps when the Advanced Clipboard option is used.

+ Added extra revert scripts - one being for the remove 'Libraries' folders which can cause the 'Camera Roll' feature to not work. Another for the above Advanced Clipboard.

+ Various internal code optimizations and re-shuffle of some routines.

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    My next task when i finish my next shift, as i have just been informed i am working tonight after 2 nights off :) , will be to have a re-write of the QT's GUI to allow a right click save full log (with serials/keys etc).

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Had a quick play about with the QT code today :D

Now from QT v106 once the QT has completed it will now also save a file called PrivateCopy_QTvxxx.xxxxx report, now this will contain all keys/serials etc so DO NOT POST that one!!

I tried to have a right-click menu item in the GUI but it went a bit weird and would exit the GUI , yes it would save the PrivateCopy text one but it would then leave a GUI marker in the Task Manager -- which took a bit of 'exiting' - so the QT will as mentioned above auto save both files to the desktop, along with any MSDM text file that has other MSDM details within -- if that data is detected.

Just sorting that little lot took me from the time i got in this morning (8:38am) til about 10 mins ago (12:50pm) -GMT- :eek: but at least now it will save that private data.

If it not needed just simply delete that file. :)

7. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Already started on the next MRP :D:D

One new w10 option added - testing begins...

More details later when it all working. :)

9. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  10. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  12. grinch843

grinch843 MDL Novice

May 14, 2010
    Hi, been using MRP for awhile and just noticed that when doing an install with MRP cortana gets disabled. Is this supposed to happen? If so, is there a way to re-enable it?

Thanks......

13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5977 mxman2k, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    (OP)
    The only time Cortana can be 'disabled' via MRP is if either of these options are used:

Prevent Cortana/Keep Search.

Prevent Telemetry. <-- Although this hides some of the OOBE screens, i am guessing it may set Cortana to not be used somehow as no code is added to prevent Cortana being used otherwise and that tweak only is used during the OOBE/Setup stage anyway.

Most times to re-enable Cortana it is a case of a reverse reg tweak...
    Code:

REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowCortanaButton" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >nul 2>&1

REG add "HKLM\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\ServiceUI" /v "EnableCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DisableWebSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowSearchToUseLocation" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchPrivacy" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchSafeSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWeb" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SearchCompanion" /v "DisableContentFileUpdates" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\Default\Experience\AllowCortana" /v "value" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Preferences" /v "VoiceActivationOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >nul 2>&1

REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "VoiceShortcut" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >nul 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaConsent" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "DeviceHistoryEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "IsAssignedAccess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "DeviceHistoryEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "HistoryViewEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1

REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowCortanaButton" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >nul 2>&1

REG add "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\ServiceUI" /v "EnableCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DisableWebSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowSearchToUseLocation" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchPrivacy" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchSafeSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWeb" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SearchCompanion" /v "DisableContentFileUpdates" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\Default\Experience\AllowCortana" /v "value" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Preferences" /v "VoiceActivationOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >nul 2>&1

REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "VoiceShortcut" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >nul 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaConsent" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "DeviceHistoryEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "IsAssignedAccess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "DeviceHistoryEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    REG add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "HistoryViewEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1

Reboot after the above are all entered.

Although i cannot guarantee the above reg entries will totally revert and allow its use again, because if the option to 'Prevent Cortana' is used there are many other aspects done to prevent it working, including Firewall blocks etc.

The firewall can be reset to default settings, open 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' Click [Action] tab menu at top, then 'Export' the policy rules first so that if something goes wrong you can 'import' them back later, after exporting the rules click the 'Restore Default Policy' this will reset the firewall rules to default removing any Cortana blocks etc.

A repair install over the top with a untouched ISO should revert the OS, but MRP does not touch Cortana unless one of the above options are used i was very particular when creating those options to leave Cortana alone otherwise.

Also in some Languages/Regions, Cortana is not present anyway, probably due to Locale issues?

14. grinch843

grinch843 MDL Novice

May 14, 2010
    After a bunch of playing around it looks like the "Block advertising in the OS" option is what caused cortanta to stop working. Any way to revert those changes?

Thanks...

15. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    There are scripts/batches in the "mainfolder\Optional\Misc_ExtraScripts\"

16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Strange i have just looked through the 'Block Adverts' routine and nothing about Cortana is there... :g:

Have even checked the 'Remove Edge Shortcut' code and found one mention of Cortana there about a button, have removed that line for now but doubt that would of caused anything to prevent Cortana from working otherwise as it just removes the button thing from the Edge browser...

As for revert i will see if i have a script or create one to revert the Advert blocks, but alas it may not be 100% perfect due to so much of the adverts stuff that is entwined with other parts.

Apart from a fresh reinstall with those options not 'ticked' {used} which should allow Cortana to function properly, i am out of ideas, sorry.