Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Sometimes it can get stressful when a small change can affect so many other aspects and you are left puzzled why.

Challenging to say the least :D

More now as m$ seem to be tweaking the theme side as a few elements no longer work in newer builds and adjustments are required to compensate.

Well i best get back to work, tea breaks are over so quick.

Good to see you are ok, stay safe and well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Regarding the non copying reg entries in NTUser.Dat - the funny thing is the majority of the processed options are actually present, so the MRP inserting part is working OK, it must be m$ just ignoring a few at this time as i cannot see anything changed in the code that has been in MRP for many months now..

The routine at the moment now also creates a small cmd script that is called via 'Runonce' entry when a new user is created and as the name says it is run once, you may see a cmd window appear with information on the copy processing of the options that was not being copied via NTUser.dat - a small work around but the Details view and most theme elements are now working again - until the next m$ OEM change!

Obviously if you are not using the copy to new user option then that script is not used later on.

It may be possible that defender will remove the temporary script, the only draw back then is the script won't be called/run on any new user created. I may add a defender exclusion for the file - however defender can still be awkward and flag anything it not like.

Other than that MRP 131 is on schedule for a early November release :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. luisfernando84

luisfernando84 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    good night! Is it possible to run the project manually? For example, I installed Windows on a computer and later, the motherboard was changed (brand). Is there how to run the project manually to update the customizations?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, it's made for use during windows installation.

5. luisfernando84

luisfernando84 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6467 Enthousiast, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Here is the manual registry info for changing the OEM info (system page), i've used this ages ago, maybe it's not working this way anymore.
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation" /v Manufacturer /t REG_SZ /f /d "Manufacturer"
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation" /v Model /t REG_SZ /f /d "OS Edition"
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation" /v SupportURL /t REG_SZ /f /d "Support URL"
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation" /v Logo /t REG_SZ /f /d "%systemdrive%\Windows\OEM.BMP"

The red marked txt you can modify.

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6468 mxman2k, Oct 31, 2020
    (OP)
  8. skyteddy

skyteddy MDL Senior Member

Dec 22, 2009
  9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6470 mxman2k, Oct 31, 2020
    (OP)
  10. bundyal

bundyal MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2014
  11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    :g: strange maybe it gets blocked in some countries?

Added 2nd link to my post :)

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I am working on the MRP OEM {Online} Branding program at the moment, a few glitches i have to iron out before i even think of presenting a test link to it :D:D

13. bundyal

bundyal MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2014
    #6474 bundyal, Oct 31, 2020
    If you click on your link you will get Access denied,
    It works if you copy the line in the browser.

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6475 mxman2k, Oct 31, 2020
    (OP)
    When i get the GUI looking 'fairly' ok i will post a Screen pic of the OEM Online Brander :)

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Here is a preliminary sneak peak of the OEM Branding GUI.

Way too early for a alpha release as it is still in the design stages.

Some parts work such as the showing and choosing the OEM Logo, also the Manufacture Name, Model Name and the Support parts are read from the registry (if not available they will be blank).

Choosing the 'Wallpaper' button or any 'Applying' of info etc does not work at this time.

There is no error checking at this stage so a large logo will probably crash the GUI.

It has taken me months to get to this design, basic yes, however the end user will have to do some work themselves, such as entering any data they want, choosing the Logo/Wallpaper etc, as this is not going to be a auto set and forget like how MRP works as that would take ages to perfect and covert to a GUI.

MRP_OEM-Branding.jpg <-- Click for larger image.

Lots of things will change before a public release is made, this gives you a rough idea of the concept.

Obviously there are other better solutions out there and it is all user choice to what they wish to use.

16. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    I've been doing this manually (OEM infos) but MRP does the job. Thanks for the new project. :)

17. skyteddy

skyteddy MDL Senior Member

Dec 22, 2009
    it still works, also the keys
    - SupportHours
    - SupportPhone

Also the path to the logo can be chosen freely.

Tested Windows 7 and 10, x64, several editions.

"OEM Configurator.exe" (OEM Configurator 2.0 in OEM-Configurator.zip from AskVG.com) works pretty too. Pitty that this version lost the function "remove OEM Information and logo" from version 1.

"OEM Configurer.exe" (OEM Configurer in OEM-Configurer.zip from AskVG.com) didn't work. It seams, that is the version 1 of the tool OEM Configurator.exe (name has changed too) and did not support x64-OS.

18. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The one i am working on will work for both x86 and x64 - possibly ARM variants too, however Vista will not be supported as for some reason it would not access the registry correctly, no hardship on that OS because many older OEM Branding programs still work on it. XP/2000 and earlier will not be supported either.

I can add a button to clear any current OEM data/logo -- if people require it.

Any changes in the OEM data - including the delete current Logo mentioned above - will only be done when the Apply OEM Data button is pressed, this gives the user the chance to exit the program without changes being made to the OS's registry etc.

Programming the GUI to be x86 and x64 capable adds a bit of extra code, more so for the 64 bit registry reading/writing, that is a minor issue.

The first release will be a simple manual set version, later if people wish things can be added, will see. :)

Managed to now get the wallpaper selector to work although it will not change any file yet, it just lets me know the file selected for now -- until i add the extra bits in. That part will require the most code as it will need more error checking to prevent a GUI or OS crash when applied.

Will work on the above when i get time, it's taken this long to get this far in the development so a bit longer not matter :D, all source code (programmed in AutoIT '.au3' ) will be available on request once it all done.

MRP v131 Code is almost complete and will enter the RC stages soon. :)

19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP v131 is now at RC1 stage, Creator v36 is sorted :)

OEM Brander progress:
    OEM_Brander_Test4.jpg <-- Click for larger image.

Added:
    1) Shows current wallpaper (from transcoded one) - when selected another it will show, or revert to transcoded one if requester cancelled or incorrect resolution.

2) Shows OS bitness, Type and Build in title bar.

Some error checking added, selector's working, still does not apply anything yet, want to get other parts sorted first. :)