Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. skyteddy

skyteddy MDL Senior Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would find it great. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Will add the 'remove OEM data and Logo' it wont remove any wallpaper as that gets a bit tricky with autoit, im still working out the method(s) to set the wallpaper side as it not as easy on w8.x/10 as it used to be under 7 so different ways will be required depending on the OS the GUI run on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. skyteddy

Dec 22, 2009
    Is this really different in Windows 7/10 and Windows 8.x? I thought the keys were all in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation\?

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Vista and before it is different - hence why i'am not supporting those OS's.

That OEM Info registry part is same on 7+ yes, the changing of wallpaper via programming is slightly different in how it is 'refreshed' as in 'RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters,x' does not work the same on 8.x/10 as it does on 7.

Plus as i mentioned a few posts ago that m$ is slowly changing the OEM branding side, i am sure, as subtle changes are being made here and there - that i have had to compensate for in MRP.

I may scrap the idea of changing wallpaper and just open the settings or control panel section in the OS and that is a better way to be honest plus it changes instantly. Might as well let the OS do all the hard work in that respect. :D

5. skyteddy

Dec 22, 2009
    til now, to change the keys in the registry works pretty fine.

I think, this is the best idea!

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6486 mxman2k, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    (OP)
    Code:
    explorer.exe shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} -Microsoft.Personalization\pageWallpaper

Works ok on 7.

On w10 (RS2) it opens the old control panel's 'Personalisation\Desktop Background' - but i may set that to the 'Settings>Background' app method to be safe as no doubt m$ will remove that 'feature' at a later date :(

Settings App way on w10.
    Code:
    explorer.exe ms-settings:personalization-background

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    England is now in a Full Lock down (again - from Thursday) and as the NHS is being pushed to the limit, my job(s) get more time consuming just keeping the cogs running...

Because my time is limited i can only really work on the projects when i can, hence why delays at times, i do try to get them released on a regular schedule.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    No problem, your priorities are set correctly.

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The Branding Tool is almost complete, a fully functional version - (probably with bugs) - is being tested.

Will give more details later.... :)

MRP_Branding_Tool.jpg <---Click for larger image.

10. mydigitallifenet

mydigitallifenet MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2017
  11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6491 mxman2k, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    (OP)
    The MRP version is a sort of 'lite' version of it as i not have the source code and i doubt i would be able to use the code for it as i think it either C# or .VbNet.

The user will need to select the OEM Logo, or background manually via the file requester(s) as it will not be a automatic version like most other tools of this type.

The change background/wallpaper button should open either settings>personalize>background for win 8.x/10 and the control panel's Personalize>Background for win 7.

When Apply OEM Branding button is pressed it will then apply the logo and any OEM information such as model etc if entered.

The support info will not be added if the check box is not selected (they will be grey'd out in that case and not changeable).

The Clear OEM Data will remove any LOGO and Text data in any of the fields.

The clear data will be instantly applied, however you do get a 'are you sure' question box appear so you can back out of that..

There are no OEM logo files supplied with the program, as you can just expand the OEM's.7z file and select the images you wish, or any other you have at hand.

There is no checking of size for the logo at the moment as need to figure out that code first. :D

Once it has passed testing and any adjustments done i will give more detailed info about its use, majority is self explanatory and some tool tips are available when the mouse is hovered over a element.

I would not exactly say it is a 'replacement' but it will work on hopefully all windows from 7 to 10+ , it is a simple project, well it started out that way, but has progressed into quite a complex set of routines and increasing!

The source code will be available on request when i release and anyone can carry on with it or re-write it as i wont have the time to dedicate to it.

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Just logged on while on my break :)

I will add in the code so that when the tool is first run it will ask if you wish to save the current OEM Info registry entries to a file called OEMInfo_xxxx.reg which then will be saved to the user's desktop. The xxxx part will be a random number so that the reg file saved should not get over written.

I would advise that on the very first time using the tool to say Yes to the requester about saving the current 'OEMInformation' part, you can rename it if required to whatever you wish, that way you will have a backup.

You can then use the .reg file to revert any changes made.

Note it will NOT revert the wallpaper/background as that data is stored in a different part of the registry and not part of the tools internal coding.

As MRP 131 is now code complete and it's just final checking and wording etc to be done, i have taken a break from that to concentrate on this 'Branding Tool' as it seems a lot are interested.

I doubt there will be a new QT released for a little while, will see when MRP and this tool has been released...

13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    OEM Branding Tool

Ok have now added that 'export' feature, plus you can select to export via the File Menu at the top too. It does not export anything about the Desktop Wallpaper/Background.

V1.6 is now in testing, still a few little bits to sort but it is all functioning now. Mainly error checking here and there. :D

If anyone wants to give this a thrash test please PM me and i will give you a link.

But remember to test on a VM or non critical PC, i have tried to make sure that the export reg feature works ok, ( on x64 it does, but not tried on x86 OS's as got none installed ), so that you can revert changes easier.

I won't be adding any Import feature as the export side was bad enough to get to operate! -- You only have to double-click the exported .reg file to import it anyway. :p

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    v1.7 is being tested and so far all is working as it should :)

Looks like this may be the one for release... will see tomorrow :)

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I have a lot of things i could add but for now it will be as it is as time gets more limited for the next four weeks during this lockdown and work.

16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    well time to get back to work, took a bit longer this break than i should :oops:

Will pop on later on my next break(s) :)

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP v131 at RC2 stage :)

Branding Tool now at v1.8, a few improvements:
    1) Shows the current oem logo - if the file/location is found within the 'OEM Information\Logo' registry entry.
    2) More error checking.
    3) Extra information in the 'Menu->About' page.

Plus a few other little tweaks here and there which i can't remember what :D

This will be released to the Beta testers later, keep an eye out on the 'Beta Convo' :)

18. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Hello my dear friend, I'am so interested by your tool :)
    If one day is possible to use in command line with the manufacturer auto detection that would be really cool

19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Sadly i may not be the one to implement that command line method as i will soon be letting someone else run with this tool's script, it not perfect by any means but it does have potential with time and effort.

But if no takers to continue with it then i will keep working on it but at a slower process for a while due to other commitments.

v2.0 when i split it into a x86 and x64 versions not made much difference and the image glitch was nothing to do with the tool, a non compliant converted png > bmp image that the OS not like and refused to use it.

For v2.2, (which i am working on at moment), is a single exe, (saves confusion with 2) , i have added a note on the logo requester title that some converted images may not work.

Vista/2008 sadly cannot be added because the OS Kernel has a few quirks which would take ages to get around and as there are other tools about that will work on those it saves me time.

If i am carrying on with this tool i will see about command line parameters but that will be a while yet, need to be happy with the rest of the code first.