Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    System files are classed as superhidden , the mrp option does not show those.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Thanks got the answer if its for me.
    since my profile in IT i havent heard from anybody in this online world that "programdata" is a super hidden
    directory.
    but great work of yours.
    thanks a lot .

3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    There is two 'show hidden' type tweaks one normal show hidden and the superhidden one, i only have the option for the normal hidden type.

I was going to have both as options but decided just to have the normal one, mainly that non savvy users could cause problems by deleting system files if they can see them.

I am at work and cant access the optional scripts to see if i put a show all hidden files script in. Plus on a phone which is a pain to do much on.

Will add a script for that for the next release, it will not be a option in mrp.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Only H attrib applied by default to Programdata but nor any S is applied.
    Attrib +S for System & Attrib +H for Hidden but if both Attrib +S +H are applied to directory then it will become super hidden system directory.

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I see the 'ProgramData' folder is not hidden when that option is used on my systems - a slightly duller folder image to show it was hidden as normal if un-hidden.

Maybe m$ has changed something in 20H2 or other tweaks to the OS been applied via other methods?

MRP only uses well known methods for the tweaks, the odd one or two there is some creative thought gone into them to make those operate.

I know there are quite a few changes in 20257.1 which i am trying to find alternative methods, such as the 'OEM Info' option which not work under that OS Build as it seems m$ have started their 'Control Panel' removals.

6. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    S Series Optimized and Compressed :D:D:D

Attached Files:

• S.7z
      File size:
      134.9 KB
      Views:
  7. After i installed OS to VM without MRP &OEM$ directory inside sources Programdata is there visible at the installed OS drtive after i select to show hidden Files Folders & Drives but with MRP config its not visble.
    Dont know what happened with MRP config.

8. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    R Series Optimized and Compressed :D:D:D

Attached Files:

• R.7z
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
  9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6589 mxman2k, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    (OP)
    The mrp option has worked for many others as it is described, as mentioned it is only for standard hidden items, it does not change anything for system, specialized or super-hidden items.

There is nothing to edit in mrp as the code has not changed since it was listed in the ms documentation.

* edit: added quote - awkward on a phone! *

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Thanks @l30 , i will add the latest ones tomorrow when i get home from work.

11. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Q Series Optimized and Compressed :D:D:D

Attached Files:

• Q.7z
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
  12. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    #6592 rhahgleuhargh, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Hi, Confirmed here with Windows 10 20h2 and Build 20257.
    upload_2020-11-15_9-14-24.png
    ProgramData and User/AppData folder are considered as Superhidden folders. I'm doing a test without enabling the tweak and add the regkey in my setupcomplete.cmd
    Key is : Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "Hidden" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

EDIT : no way, result is the same.
    Is it due to the fact that some parts of these folders are modified by MRP (User Account Branding images for example) ?

13. bundyal

bundyal MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2014

ProgramData is a Superhidden folder.
    User/AppData folder is a hidden folder.

I don't think that your lines works in setupcomplete.cmd.
    Just put it in UserTweaks.cmd

I have this lines in UserTweaks.cmd, and then you will see the hidden appdata folder.

REM ** Show Hidden Files 1 = show // 0 = hide
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "Hidden" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "Hidden" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f >NUL 2>&1

REM ** Show SuperHidden 1 = show // 0 = hide
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowSuperHidden" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f >NUL 2>&1
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowSuperHidden" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f >NUL 2>&1

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The lines shown above should work in 'SetUpComplete.cmd' as the HKCU hive is also available at that time too.

If you added them to 'Oobe.cmd' only the HKLM hive will be set as the HKCU is not available at that time because no user has been created at that early stage.

15. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    @bundyal
    Thanks for the infos, I didn't test user.cmd
    You're right, User/AppData folder is shown. Concerning ProgramData folder, in my current config (installed long time ago, without MRP, but with Wintoolkit with this tweak applied) this folder is shown, but I don't understand why.
    I don't know if it's possible to manually unhide ProgramData folder.

16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6596 mxman2k, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    (OP)
    Also remember that the Preview/Insider builds may have changes that are not seen under the 'RTM/GA' versions!

It has been noted that M$ are making quite a few changes within the OS during the preview stages, branding being one side, also more control panel parts are no longer operative plus possible registry changes in which some old tweaks are ignored or do something not as expected.

To be honest i am puzzled why so much attention to this hidden/superhidden 'problem' - surely it a simple matter of the end user to just tick that check box to show hidden files within the normal explorer windows ?

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I have started on the next Query Tool, so far only the GUI display program has been updated to 'hopefully' look better on W8.x using different fonts.

MRP 132 (or 131.1 at moment) is in editor stage too.

18. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    The reason in my case is that I put back some settings after reinstall so it's easier to have directly access to this folder.
    I totally agree with you, but I like to understand why it works with certain OS versions, and/or after some cumulative updates, and not with others.

19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Sadly i cannot answer the reason why, i guess m$ are exercising their right to alter things in their code base as they see fit.

As we know this practise is shady at times and any original documentation is not always updated to reflect what been adjusted etc.

I do try my best to keep the project 'on the ball' but at times m$ moves the goal posts and we are left wondering why!

20. bundyal

bundyal MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2014
    I have this for you if you want, to manually unhide ProgramData folder.
    I have a Add_Hidden_items_to_context_menu.cmd or .reg file.
    Then you can hide or show everything with a right click.
    So tell me if you want the file?