Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    You could do a test install and aee if that option works for your needs. Sadly i csnt guarantee it will run totally silent now. But most dos type sceens should be.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. djwacik

djwacik MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    I have strange issue with most/all 2021 versions and Windows 7 x64. Please find attached both config file and log files... I am search for 131-135 download links to check if those were working properly as I do not remember which exact older version was working for me.

Attached Files:

3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I will look into this in the morning (gmt) aa not at home until then.

Links to versions other than the current release are removed as a new one is uploaded, i do have copies of majority of the older ones.

Maybe someone can help with your request for v131 to v135 until i can assist.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Hmm not much to go on in the log part!

Ok for me to try and work out what has gone wrong, the following info is needed:

1) Which ISO/Language was used.
    2) Was any updates added and/or edited in any way to add/remove components.
    3) Was it a clean install or 'over the top' upgrade.

If upgrade/fix was the action then most likely any Antivirus program has deleted parts of MRP before it had time to be used. It is always best to turn off/uninstall any AV prior to any in-place upgrade/fixes as not only can it cause issues like this, but also it can slow down the upgrade/fix process dramatically too.

From what little is shown in the log it indicates that the decompile part had completed but something had crashed MRP and/or had stopped oobe from calling the main install script.

Windows 7 has recently become a fussy beast to install not only on newer hardware but in general, it appears that any slipstreamed updates of this year has had an effect on installs for some but not all.

When i get a bit more time today i will find the older versions of MRP and pm you the links, unless anyone else beats me to it. :D

5. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I will await their answer of which language and might even check for that specific one and disable unicode for the one that causing the issue - be a bit of work, but better than a total disable for all w7 languages.

8. djwacik

djwacik MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    I am using clean Windows 7 SP1 x64 polish image updated with newest (21.8.11) Simplix update pack (including DirectX, NetFX 4.8 and VisualC++ runtimes) using Enthousiast's Simplix UpdatePack AiO ISO. None components were removed.
    No antivirus software on both host (the one used to create ISO/USB stick) and target machines.

I already found version 131 on one of my other USB sticks and successfully installed same Windows image after replacing just DeCompile.exe in $OEM$ folder. Unfortunately I forgot to backup MRP log file. I am going to use same image on different hardware soon so I can provide log file if needed.

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I will compare v131 and latest to see if i can identify where it aborts.

Got a starting point now, thanks.

I dont think it is decompile as such as the short log indicated to me that it had completed all extractions ok.

Will start that in the morning.

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Hmm, the only difference in the first part of the main script is the unicode part , on the v131 it was at the top area, on later versions it was further down the code base... Have moved it back to the top area, and now attempting a clean install...

Have added a line in oobe.cmd that will activate a early logging system, as during that time nothing will be shown to the screen anyway so just redirected that scripts echo's to a file...

When MRP completes correctly that file will be auto deleted, or i could leave it to the user to delete as it will be nothing exciting just a few lines of where the script got to etc - if there is a crash of some sort that aborts MRP hopefully that log will have enough data for me to work backwards or forwards from the last log entry...

Testing continues....

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7391 mxman2k, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    (OP)
    :)
    Code:
    Main install script started.

Check if Unicode can be used.
    Unicode in operation.
    Start variables set up.
    Set cleanup script in case of a crash...
    Start main script processing.
    Check for clean or upgrade installation.
    Check for Powershell version that can be used.
    Check for daylight saving mode.
    Define the OS data being installed.
    Check if OEM folder is valid.
    Check OS Build for Edition etc...
    Define local time/date format.
    OS architecture - 32 or 64 bits.
    Check chassis type.
    Check PC Type.
    Check config ini data...
    Checking for any MRP user selected options...
    MRP options check - Done.
    Set option defaults if no config ini present...
    Checking which OS Kernel is installed and adjust the options not used in that OS as required...
    Check if option values are valid section...
    Check for valid option responses section - processing data..
    Check valid section - General opts...
    Check valid section - CT Menus...
    CPM Section...
    Check valid responses section... Done.
    Define the Context Menu bits...
    Set 'Administrator' lookup via shell32 bits...
    Check for and set single letter options...
    Checking for NEQ values and set as No etc...
    Main Debug log creation {if enabled}.
    Checking for TPM information, this may take a few seconds...
    OS translation will be performed, where possible, on most of the Context Menu options.

Early Log Completed. Some log entries my not show depending on OS etc.
    Just gives an idea if progress fails etc.

Only added entries up to a certain point at this time as usually a crash happens early on in the main script as it is so sensitive to changes.

12. djwacik

djwacik MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    All scripts (both OOBE and Wintel) were left from 137.0. I will try which version starts to give issues so it will be easier for you to find source of problem...

13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7394 mxman2k, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    (OP)

When a problem arises for a certain situation it can be awkward to pin point exactly where to start to look.

I do know that win 7 can be very fussy with unicode used in cmd and even p/shell. I have tried to avoid a system wide use of unicode as that can open another can of worms.

XP was a os that also had major unicode use issues, vista had some too but have disabled unicode use for vista in mrp anyway.

Unicode use on 7 can cause any called external scripts from the script that has it enabled on to act strange, not abort though.

It can also be if the console font changes!

So many factors can be the cause, or even a combination of them.

Will do my best to fix it.

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Some progress has been made, well not exactly going forward as such, as on 140-TR5c i have had to put into place a check for the Polish language and not use the Unicode 65001 system as it will cause the crash. It is odd because it is always at a different area where it crashes out at... :g:

So for the time being on MRP 140+ Unicode will be not be used on Polish (pl-PL) installs, this only affects windows 7 as win 8.x and above are Unicode aware.

The new check can also cover other languages that have the Unicode abort issue on Win7 when they are reported. For now it seems just the pl-PL Win 7 that has this situation.

Covering Win 7 now seems to be getting more problematic and so i may have to have a legacy Win 7 only version, will have to think about that...

I have done my best to keep it covered and now as it is showing its age, even with the ESU updates, which may be a factor in this new crash scenario?

Many thanks to @Enthousiast for testing v139 (current baseline) and the v140-TRx test versions.

The options that are auto translated by the OS are unaffected by having the Unicode system not in use, it can only affect those options where you enter your own wording ie the CT/Menus, DriveName etc, note this only for those languages that are affected by the non use of Unicode under windows 7.

15. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Which version is more suitable for the Chinese of win7 system?

16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    With the glitch being found at moment, i would say v131.0, but you could test the current 139.0 version as it seems to only affect pl-PL win7 for some reason.

17. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
    I'm not sure if it's a version issue. No problems on my 2008 Asus K40AB notebook .
    But installed with WinNTSetup on a PC with UEFI & BIOS. An error occurred during the deployment phase.
    Skip the OEM to setup that no error.

18. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    It seems a random crash, i have assumed it is something to do with unicode (CHCP 65001) being used that is the issue, although it may not be that, i have checked code and nothing been changed regarding that side since v130 and above until now , v140 in testing, when i have adjusted the use of CHCP on some win 7 installs...

As i have no access to other language ISO's myself i am unable to replicate.

It is something that is taking a lot of time to address and i may just turn off unicode for w7 when any non latin based language is detected until i have more time to work on that glitch.

19. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009