Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7401 mxman2k, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    (OP)
    For the next mrp v140 i have added oem slp keys for server 202x standard and datacenter editions.

Also extended the slic checks to cover v2.6 which server 202x uses.

Experimental as i not downloaded a latest server iso, or have v2.6 slic added to a vm or real pc bios to test.

It should work as it uses the same routines used for vista, 7 and other servers that use the slic, key and certificate method to activate.

:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. djwacik

djwacik MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    Sorry for delay. I was able to do more tests today. 135 is working ok at least using polish Windows 7 (please find attached log). For sure 137 is broken (already tried in the past). I do not have 136 to test so could not tell which version started to give issues.

Attached Files:

3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    With abbodi1406's help we are testing a different method of unicode enabling, as it may of been my method that failed to assign the code properly...

Will post results when available. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7404 mxman2k, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    (OP)
    Due to unicode not being reliable for win 7 for MRP use i have decided to not use it for Vista or Win7 kernels.

Manually testing with a script and echo commands with various phrases etc on w7 it would cause all sorts of issues from errors about 'cannot write to a specified device' ?? or just crashing to desktop with no message/error.

OS translated items such as CT Menu wording should be ok as that is handled by the OS's kernel, only any user entered text in their native language may not work as expected for any CT Menu item, DriveName etc as mentioned before.

Sorry but i have to draw the line somewhere when something takes up so much time for very little or to no gain.

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Tested a new method for having the 'old context menu' look on Windows 11, results promising. :)

Added the early log bit to the main 'oobe.cmd' so that it will log progress of the first stages of MRP, for the time being the log will still be present, but may set to auto delete it when all is successful., or on the reboot/cycle when the usual tidy up script is run this gives time for the user to copy the file if needed before it vanishes.

6. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  7. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7409 mxman2k, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    (OP)
    The next release of MRP v140 will be soon (early next week) as it is now at RC1 stage, mainly tidying up , fix any spelling mistakes and write up the changelog.

Most is 'under the hood' work, a odd new option and some updated older ones to work with later OS's. :)

A lot of time was spent trying to fix the Unicode issue, but had to draw the line and not use it on OS's below 8.x in the end.

But that did make me check through the code more and fix a few issues that was not show stoppers but something that could show a gremlin later so not all time was a lost.

9. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Is this issue about correct CHCP 65001 support in CMD files?

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    yes, on languages that are not latin based has issues with vista/7 kernels. it may just be how mrp uses the data.

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #7412 George King, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    I found patch for cmd.exe for Windows XP to support CHCP 65001. Here is patched executable. I'm using it to to handle CMD script in UTF-8 and it works. I think it can run successfully under Vista / 7 too

Code:
    ucmd.exe /c UnicodeScript.cmd
    UnicodeScript.cmd example
    @echo off
    chcp 65001
    REM Most of languages
    net localgroup Administrators Administrator /add
    REM Finnish
    net localgroup Järjestelmänvalvojat Administrator /add
    REM French
    net localgroup Administrateurs Administrator /add
    REM Hungarian
    net localgroup Rendszergazdák Administrator /add
    REM Portugese
    net localgroup Administradores Administrator /add
    REM Russian
    net localgroup Администраторы Administrator /add
    REM Spanish
    net localgroup Administradores Administrator /add
    REM Danish
    net localgroup Administratorer Administrator /add
    REM Swedish
    net localgroup Administratörer Administrator /add
    REM German
    net localgroup Administratoren Administrator /add
    REM Polish
    net localgroup Administratorzy Administrator /add
    goto :EOF

Attached Files:

• ucmd.7z
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
  12. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    It runs in W10 too :p

However there is a slight problem, it is 32bit based as far as i can tell and so it would cause other problems when setting 64 bit registry entries used in the tweaks/options.

Also because MRP needs to run in dual mode ie it can be 32 bit or using SysNative (64 bit) the ucmd.exe does not seem to operate correctly.

I can't even write the parts in Powershell as that also has the same issue on Vista/7 kernels with unicode.

The really odd thing is that it seems to only affect certain languages, Polish (pl-PL), for example.

I had tried on Russian and Chinese (Simplified) and there was no issues, but the time spent trying to fix the 'crashing' glitch was too much and so decided for the time being to turn off Unicode 65001 for the older OS's.

I have thought about re-writing the entire project in another programming language but that would take hours and hours. Will see.

14. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Due to the British 'fuel shortage' caused by the media here, (yet again), plus the panic buying mentality, i have been unable to get home for a few days, so that has put the release a bit behind.

I have now managed to get home and start to finalize the last few bits of MRP v140 :)

All being well should be all sorted by Friday at latest.

16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  18. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP v140 has been uploaded, 2nd post's download link, password and hashes have been uploaded. :)

+ Windows 11 option: Hide/remove the 'most used' Apps on the start menu, note this does not relate to the 'Recommended' section which at this time is unable to clear.

+ General OS option: Disable the USB's automatic 'co-installer' feature to prevent viruses etc from being installed at the 'NT Authority/SYSTEM' level when a device is plugged in. Does not prevent the device from working, just any auto installed drivers etc that may be contained within the device's internal memory/ROM.

+ Added an updated Windows 11 option to restore the old Context Menu layout, (not the compact version). This is experimental and could be reverted by m$ at any time.

+ Updated the various TaskBar options so that they will auto disable on Windows 11 due to them making the SystemTray layout go misaligned etc.

+ Updated Snipping tool option for Windows 11 as the old 'SnippingTool' does not always work so now it will open the new 'Snip and Sketch' App instead.

+ Updated several ToolTips within the MRPCreator to reflect changes in the OS's etc.

- Removed Unicode use for OS's below Windows 8.x due to severe issues. this will not affect any OS auto translated context menus etc, only those that the user enters any wording in their native language for example the DriveName, CT Menu items and so on.

- Removed/disabled some Windows 11 options that no longer operate on the later builds.

+ Added Server 202x Standard and Datacenter OEM SLP activation support where possible, this is experimental as the keys may change or new ones added at a later date.

+ Many other internal code updates as changes in OS Updates have occurred.

+ Various re-wording on some option log entries.

+ Added a 'EarlyLog' system which will give a low level list of progress during the very eary stages of MRP operation. This will be saved to the system drive's root. You can delete the file later, it is just to help when something crashes the project very early on and the main logs may not contain enough information.