Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Would be cool to have all pinned apps removed by default, we can do it manually tho but MS is MS

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Yeah, i have tried to get a clean slim start menu etc , but alas m$ fought back and won - this time :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP 141 is now at RC5 stage and is progressing steady. :)

Also Query Tool v118 is at RC1 stage.

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7486 mxman2k, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    (OP)
    I have addressed the issues raised by those that PM'd me, thanks for letting me know. Hopefully v141 will fix them.

Nothing major or show stopping, one was spelling errors another a rewording to make better clarity.

For now the Unicode part is still deactivated on Win7/Vista as no fully working method can be found. But that should not affect the majority of options that are auto-translated by the OS/Language, just a few odd options that have user entered text - such as Drive/Model name and some CT menu items.

A few of the win 11 options have extra code added to cover the older and newer builds/updates.

The 'expand explorer ribbon' option sometimes requires 2 logout/in or reboot cycles once the OS has installed to take effect, but have adjusted it to hopefully just need one like win 10 does. That option can be found under the [W1x {2}] tab about half way down the list in the ini creator. I did not add it to the win11 section as it covers both 10 and 11 and it is pointless to have it listed twice.

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7487 mxman2k, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    (OP)
    Due to WMIC being depreciated to the point that m$ have removed it from the latest DEV insider build (mistake or on purpose?), i have been trying p/shell methods to use the WMI system that PS still has access to, but gez is it slow!

So for now I have done a check for WMIC.exe and if missing the next released QT and MRP will put a note in the log(s) and will run at reduced efficiency - a lot of queries will be skipped and so some systems may not be branded properly or lot of results may not be shown...

As it only preview affected for now and not in the 'rtm/GA' ones MRP/QT will be ok, but if you attempt to use the projects on a later DEV build expect some strange results!!

You could copy the c:\windows\system32\wbem folder from a older ISO/image but it could be language dependant and so issues could arise...

However that will have to be up to the end user to copy that into the WIM, as even a compressed 'wbem' folder is still over 50mb..

8. Can you please add an option to restore wmic in new DEV builds and use it for the queries? It can be restored by replacing the folder \Windows\System32\wbem from build 22478.
    Thank you.

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    See my updated post, the folder even compressed is over 50mb as not sure what to remove around WMIC files, plus just overwriting the folder's contents could cause major issues, especially as some files within wbem are language dependant!

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I have a 7z file of what i think are all the WMIC files from within wbem folder that are reduced to 7mb compressed but i not able to test if that will be enough as i not at home or have the latest DEV build.

Plus time is limited for me at the moment.

11. That won't be enough, I already tried. The entire folder must be replaced. M$ likes to deprecate things without giving competent alternatives.

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7492 mxman2k, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    (OP)
    Exactly and if the OS you copied from is say English, and you copy it into say a Russian/Chinese or any other non english version it most likely screw the system up as there are folders and files are appear to be os/language dependant.

I am very aware of other languages and try my best to have any option translate in some way.

This is a bit more than MRP was intended for..

I will have to re-write both projects sooner rather than later it seems... :(

13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    As i mentioned i am trying to find alternatives and may have to resort to AutoIT for a replacement WMIC command, once i can work out how it calls the api that PShell uses ;)

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I agree m$ like to remove things that have been in Windows for ages and work, i know WMIC can be a bit hit and miss due to some out put text is ANSI others something else, but the majority give the required results..

VRam on WMIC if over 4GB is incorrect, but even the posh p/shell doesn't get it right either, so it not that perfect for a replacement, plus the syntax can get way too complicated.

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    example wmic vs pshell to get same information via cmd prompt or batch script:

Code:

wmic idecontroller get name /value

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_IDEController | Select-Object -Property Name | format-table -hidetableheaders"

See the speed that WMIC gives results also how much more complex PS has to be to get same data!

16. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Powershell is slower, but can be shortened :)
    Code:
    powershell -nop -ep bypass -c "(gcim Win32_IDEController).Name"
    Get-CimInstance is PS 3.0+, Win7 PS 2.0 need Get-WmiObject (gwmi)

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I was going to use the CIM PS cmdlet just for the newer builfd(s) that not have WMIC present. For older still use wmic :)

Means more work to have dual routines but i have already been re writing the BIOS and DMI parts using registry instead of WMIC so those will be universal OS sections.

Just need to do CPU and memory ones..

18. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Got a little time spare before i am off to invigilate a NHS exam...

So downloading that 22483 build and see what i can work with and adjust in the projects over the next few days so that they have a half decent chance of working like they did...

Because of this WMIC issue the releases of MRP 141 and QT 118 are on hold, sorry.

if someone wants copy of the current RC of them to use on other OS's/Builds that do still have WMIC in please PM me and when i get time i will upload a copy of the current state they in , (before this WMIC fiasco), of the project(s).

Remember they are test versions but so far everything works as intended.

Typical m$ throw a curve ball - yet again!

19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    As i personally not keen on powershell i will be using alternative ways to access the wmi api which is far faster than pshell.

Have about done the dmi and bios data sections, next will be cpu and memory results. Luckily the vram/graphics routine was done ages ago.

Some results may not show like it did when wmic was available but will work around that as i can.

More details when time permits.

20. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7500 mxman2k, Oct 24, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    (OP)