My boot time is too slow

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Skucuksahin, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    An i5 8xxx wit 8GB DDR4 RAM should boot fast enough with the default settings, even on a 5400rpm HDD.

Please show some nrs about the decrease of boot time these disabled services will cause.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Most AVs take advantage of CPU/RAM, but WD is badly optimized (or not at all) and it is mostly taking its tow on HDD (I/O), so 5400rpm just will not do for WD.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks for this, saved. This is a sick policy, as bad as UseLogonCredential+CachedLogonsCount+DisableDomainCreds.

Good for you. I gave WD several chances, it always failed me, the last time causing 100% HDD usage. EVen on clean setup, it causes trouble. So I put it on my naughty list.

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    usually 1TB HD stock is 5400 RPM thats very slow lots of vendors dont give u a big space HD at 7200 RPM. upgrade SSD their very cheap and getting cheaper.

5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Do you even hear yourselves?! What does 5400rpm, 100+MB/s R/W got to do with windows stuff being a bloated crap doing IO for nothing but Microsoft's benefit I.E. TELEMETRY TELEMETRY TELEMETRY that does not reflect no releases (see 1803 flop, see current 1809 more than a flop).
    I have dozens of machines I've configured that do not suffer at all from such poor performance, with those standard 5400rpm HDDs (because over here proper SSDs still cost an arm and a leg, and a low grade one is simply not worth the reduction in storage space).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hell ya i totally agree, if your laptop disk usage is 100% at all times then there is probably unwanted malware or a virus running in the background but then not always the case either but more then likely.

7. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    SSD is way faster than HDD as 7200RPM, But What I did mine all OS'es and Applications on my SSD, rest of data files is my HDD which I have all 7200RPM.. It works well on Windows 7 and 10!!

ATGPUD2003

8. hyperstriker

hyperstriker MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2017
    I do agree with @BAU comment, How is it that by switching from a mechanical 5400RPM, 7200RPM, 10000RPM, and so, Hard disk drive to Solid State drive (SSD), it will stop the constant R/W of a 100% Disk usage from an application?; for sure is that a data choking processing solution can be alleviated with a fast R/W speed, but speed is not the solution of any annoying or persistent and constant data "Read and Write". the solution is to stop or to decrease the need to that constant and persistence of R/W.

If you had test your HDD for health, and you are sure that the problem is not on it, and is even clear of any damaged electronics for or of any technology feature on the HDD, meaning, from cache, buffer, s.m.a.r.t., firmware, controller, motor-driver and so on, just monitor the processes so for to isolate, checking for the application(s) that is causing such action, the Windows task manager or the Windows resource monitor can help a little on that...

Replacing an HDD to an SSD will not stop any application of any constant need of read and write, it will do it faster, but it will keep doing it; Like @Excalibur0076 mention,Unbloating or whatever, the OS it may be "part" of the solution but it is not guarantee for sure, it will still not pin-point to the 100% of the cause so to avoid in the future; besides,an insane large number of end users have all the telemetry and MS shady crappy things running along with a swarm of malware of all kinds and still their systems are not always chocked with a 100% disk usage; Going back to an OS version from 2009 with an S.P. from 2011, it does not bring a real solution, you just degrading to an older OS, and it doesn't suit well with newer frameoworked developed software, not to mention, renouncing to newer features that you may find useful and attractive from the newer OS version. Like @MrChris mention checking your BIOS, it won't hurt, some setting(s) may not suit to your hardware combination nor the type of your OS, but still it does not pin-point to the application that is causing the 100% disk usage.

your 7 years older system with a much more lower performance hardware don't have that issue, so your newer one shouldn't.

9. VDev

VDev MDL Member

Sep 9, 2015
    It is not normal but killing superfetch service takes care of that. Then it behaves properly.
    Even I am on HDD on W10 on a old 5 yr laptop. I updated my W7 based drivers to W10 drivers WHQL and boot time is improved by a mile.
    @Skucuksahin
    Get an SSD like everyone said. SATA or NVMe will do. For SATA m.2 or 2.5" MX500 will do that just fine(or even MX300), for NVMe go with WD Black or ADATA SX8200(or its Pro version). You can get these for cheap when 99% prefer Samsung drives.

10. hyperstriker

hyperstriker MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2017
    it was already said that there is not enough budget to acquire an SSD, but the persistency to do so is probably worst than the 100% disk usage issue that he is having...