My bootloader is gone

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by anima, Mar 10, 2014.

1. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Hallo
    i tried installing windows in a second partition of my hard drive.I already had windows in the first partition though and i had them activated with daz loader.Now the system automatically boots to the second partition.I do not get to choose.
    My guess is that something went wrong with the bootloader.
    How can i fix this and get access again to my first partition?

Thank you

2. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    ok now here is my situation
    i thought that creating a third partition and installing ubuntu would help,because grub maybe could find the bootloader or something(bad idea probably)

now when i boot i see the grub with the choises

Ubuntu,with linux 3.11.0-15-generic
    Ubuntu,with linux 3.11.0-15-generic(recovery mode)
    Memory test (memtest86+)
    Memory test (memtest86+,serial console 115200)
    Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)
    Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

When i try to enter the loader on sda3 it freezes,when i try the loader on sda2 it gives me the two options of my windows but i can only enter one of them,when i try the other one it freezes and reboots.

Now,how can i completely remove the loader on sda3 and the second option in the loader on sda2?
    The first option in the loader on sda2 is the windows that i want to keep
    Note that in the EasyBCD it shows me that i only have one loader only

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The partitions aren't hidden from each other, right?

I'm guessing that both Windows partitions share one of the partitions for the boot files. If that's the case then you can uninstall the loader from whichever Windows partition that you have access to by simply pressing the uninstall button from within the loader app.

The loader installs to whichever partition contains your boot files (BOOT folder and bootmgr). Once loaded it'll chainload the bootmgr file, so you'll then get the usual OS prompt.

If you're using GRUB2 then you might lose activation. The reason for that is because GRUB2 tends to chainload bootmgr instead of the boot sector, so the loader (SLIC injector) is skipped. There's an option to workaround that issue, but you'll want to get your OS's fixed first.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    ok i uninstalled the loader and nothing changed neither in the grub menu nor in the sda2 menu which still gives me 2 choises although i have only 1 windows installation now.
    I reinstalled it but still the same.

How can i remove the 2 loaders showing in the grub and replace the 2 entries i have in the sda2 with just one?
    Note that my hdd is now
    ===
    Partition 1=>Ubuntu
    Partition 2=>Windows 7

and what i see in the grub is
    Ubuntu,with linux 3.11.0-15-generic
    Ubuntu,with linux 3.11.0-15-generic(recovery mode)
    Memory test (memtest86+)
    Memory test (memtest86+,serial console 115200)
    Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)*
    Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

*When i enter the sda2 it shows me 2 options like i have 2 windows installations,only when i enter in the second one it proceeds to windows though.

5. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    To update GRUB2 use the update-grub command from Ubuntu. I believe there's applications such as Grub Customizer that'll also allow you to edit the menu layout.

To remove the bad entry via Windows's bootmgr you could delete it via msconfig or you could use EasyBCD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    ok i managed to fix things.Now i got 2 windows 7 activated both with windows loader and now i would like to put ubuntu too but i am afraid it will mess things up again
    any idea what to do in order not to destroy everything again?

7. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The easy way is to uninstall the loader and to then setup Ubuntu. Once you've got everything working then boot to Windows and install the loader again, but before you do select to preserve the current boot code from the advanced tab. If you do that then GRUB2 will chainload the loader (SLIC injector) and that will then load up the real bootmgr.

8. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    ok,out of the blue now the ubuntu were reading my hdd as dev/sdb like i just suddenly had a second drive
    so since things looked to be really messed up i deleted all partitions from my hdd and created 3 new primary and one partition of 100mb that windows create.
    I will install windows on the 2 partitions and in the third ubuntu and after that i will activate the windows as you said
    I will update if everything went fine.

9. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Well,i made 3 partitions and 1 more windows created 100mb of size.
    In the 2 partitions i installed windows.I installed then ubuntu and i put the root in the partition itlself
    Then i tried to activate the 2 windows i had installed.The activation part took me a while cause when i activated the one partition the other became deactivated besides i had the preserve the boot code feature on.I managed it to work when i changed the serial to be used.
    Now everything works great!

Thank you very much for your help