My computer is using lots of RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dragonfire665, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Ok so my computer runs amazing with my CPU usage however my RAM usage goes to the roof. I was wondering if anyone could have an answer. I have attached some pics of my system maybe someone can help me with that matter.

Right now is using 22% only but if i were to open couple of other time IE, Utorrent, or other things it will go to 100% quick while my CPU will never go pass 40%.

I have 6GB of Ram and it never went pass 50% while using Vista 64X

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Maybe it's because of superfetch?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #3 genuine555, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Yeah, this is probably due to the Superfetch service. It is perfectly normal and a good thing. It doesn't mean all your mem is used, but it is cached, so applications and boot files will in fact start faster and more efficiently.

Look in this thread I made :

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/12643

Somewhere in the middle of post #1, it provides some info regarding superfetch and prefetch. You could set it to cache boot files only, but disabling either of them wouldn't be a wise decision. Superfetch is in fact one of the best features in Win7, way better than Superfetch in Vista. In Vistait was an annoying feature, overdoing it mostly and in doing so, even slowing down the system for many people. This isn't true anymore in Win7. m$ has further develloped it to run very smoothly and unnoticable in Win7, so I advise you to set it at option 2 or leave it at 3.

Could you post a screen of the memory tab in your taskmanager ? Just to make sure this is superfetch at work...
    Best provide a screen from when at 22% or so, and one at 100%, both of the memory tab in taskamanger.

Also look in control panel, system, and see there what it says about available memory.

If remapping is off, you will have 6Gb, but only about 2 or 3 gb availiable...

4. Aiziatek

Aiziatek MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
  5. blackcobra

blackcobra MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    As burfadel said , cleanmem is a very good program used it on windows 7 , 2008 R2 and XP .