My Linux saga...testing Linux distros for the fun of it

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SOCRATE_MMXII, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Well, LiLi failed to create the USB with Linux Mint 17.2 KDE, so I used UUI with success creating a live mode with 4GB persistence on a 8 GB USB stick.
    Mint 17.2 KDE detected my ATi video card and was using the correct driver.
    Well, until having this experiment I was convinced that Knoppix and Kanotix have the best driver detection in the linux world, but this proved me that I was wrong.
    Until now, Kubuntu and Mint detected and used the correct driver for ATi video card.
    Kanotix nightly was the only linux distro which identified and used correct drivers for bluetooh. I don't use bluetooth anyway so it's not a big issue for me, but I'll still poke both Kubuntu and Mint about it. :D

@Antilope: I'd like to see that tutorial, too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #43 Mutoid, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    I don't like people who say " I told you so " , and personally , I never do it ..... but ...

" told you so " - :biggrin:

Anyway , joking aside , enjoy Mint to the full !

The developers have done an outstanding job IMO .

I truly can't find fault with it ....

4. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Mint OS? Never heard of it. Google didn't help either pointing only to Linux Mint 17.2.
    Maybe you refer to Linux Mint 17.2 KDE?
    As you can see above your post, I mention that I use Linux Mint 17.2 KDE.

5. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Are you guys creating Live on Windows?

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I agree with you, but I learned quite a few things from this experience, thus I enjoy it.
    There are a few distros out there I'll give them a run such as Chakra, Devuan (aka Debian without systemd), Rosa.
    For the moment I'll stick to Linux Mint 17.2 KDE 4.14.2.

7. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Devuan is coming together, I have installed and ran it for a few days (Devuan/Cinnamon) probably about a month ago. But it is still in it's infancy. Still plagued by Debian branding all over the place. But the bugs are a minimum, and it seems to run better than Debian (to me at least). If you do take it for a test drive then give us a update about it. Thanks!

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    I so wish we can get over our petty differences regarding systemd.

I'm sure the Apple farm and the monopoly are laughing at our diversity.

9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Yes. I'm using UUI to put the images on the USB stick and HP USB Format Tool to wipe the USB.
    I just found out a Devuan ISO with Trinity Desktop Environment (KDE3 fork) and is because I don't want to wipe Mint 17.2, I'll have to find another 8 GB USB stick to put that on.

@Skaendo: will do

@Superfly: for me, as regular user, systemd or sys init V is not that much difference, 'cause I'm not an linux admin. But if I'd be one...I'd prefer sys init V.

10. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Last night I installed Rosa Linux R6 "Desktop Fresh" and I was pleasantly surprised. Detection of my ATi Radeon card was on the spot. It comes with a customized KDE which is pretty nice. The KDE is 4.14.8 which is very interesting 'cause googling it, I found it only on Gentoo.
    Debian-based distros have only KDE 4.14.2, Slackware/Salix/Slackel have KDE 4.14.3.
    Interesting... :g:

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep dude, thanks for the info about Hybrid, because in this moment I`am running Kubuntu 15.10 live CD, so I can think more before installing on my notebook :);)

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  13. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Thanks. I'm putting together some detailed info on how to partition a hard disk into 15 partitions and install at least 10 Linux distros. Give me a few more days and I will post it.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    right, waiting :biggrin:

15. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #56 Antilope, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    While in a Live Linux Mint USB session, if you press Logout or Switch User and get stuck in a Login screen, here is how to get out:

To get out of the Login Screen and reboot:

Press CTRL-ALT-F1 to go to a terminal window.
    Now Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to reboot.

The default Live USB Linux Mint user/password is suppose to be mint/(leave blank). That didn't work for me or others I have talked to.
    The above keystrokes will get you out of a Login screen if you Logged out of a Live USB session and are stuck.

Just found this out, to get back into the Live session from the Logon screen:

Press CTRL-ALT-F8 from the Logon screen. That will pop you back into the Live session.

16. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #57 Skaendo, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Well Socrate, I took a bite and I'm installing Devuan again on my test rig as I type this. But I'm afraid that I just seen the messages:

Configuring systemd
    &
    Configuring zeitgeist

I do not understand why I would see those messages, because I was under the impression that Devuan was anti-systemd. But I guess that we will see. I will update with my findings........

*Update
    After I installed Devuan/Cinnamon everything was as it was supposed to be, there was a nice set of software installed including LibreOffice, Iceweasel a media player plus all the basics and installed at a nice 6.1 GB.

I had to step away from my test rig for a while, but when I had a chance I booted it back up.

Well, Grub failed me (This is nothing new for Debian, and I assume that it is going to carry over to Devuan) and left me staring at a black screen.

After about 3 reboots I finally got a login screen. The time it takes to go from login to desktop leaves a little something to be desired.

And it is still plauged with Debian wallpaper, Debian branding and a 3.16 Kernel. It's not looking so good for the team that said they wanted to have a release at the same time that Debian 8 Jessie was released.

Personally I think that they took the wrong route to having a systemd-free Debian. If it were up to me I would have taken a older release and upgraded the packages from there leaving the systemd fixes out. But who am I to judge, the Devuan team burned the bridge to my opinion/feedback/help a long time ago.

17. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I thought the same. In the end, Devuan will end up being "another Debian-based" distro.

18. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I just tried out LMDE 2/Cinnamon (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and was pleasantly surprised. To me it looks like Linux Mint did Debian the right way. Not a ton of useless programs cluttering up the menu/disks, and I would say that it is even snappier than Linux Mint.

What I haven't seen is why they say it is for the more advanced user. Everything is really easy if you are used to using Mint. Pretty much everything is set up the same. The only real difference that I noticed is the installer, and a little more (I'll say difficult for a newbie) difficult to set up the partitions, but not really. The installer is still really easy to navigate and get things set up.

19. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and LMDE is based on Debian. That's the only "main" difference.
    @Skaendo: that's what I like about Mint & Kanotix: the bundled programs are at minimum.