My machine auto activated after SSD MAIN OS SSD Swap

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wazer, Sep 17, 2015.

1. wazer

wazer MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    So i recently wanted to upgrade my server from 120gb ssd samsung evo 840 to a 250gb ssd samsung evo 840.(OS DRIVE)

My intention was to install windows 8.1, use the gatherosstate after it had been activated.

Now when i installed windows 10 it was already activated when i wanted to place the .xml file after the SSD swap.

Any thougts about this?

I'm thinking it may be okay to swap hdd/ssd or any other hardware as long its brand is in the range of the old replacement? In that way m$ can accept still to activate currently hardware?

2. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Graphics card\cpu\harddrive\ram you can replace. If you upgrade your motherboard, you need to get a new key\license.

3. wazer

wazer MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Alright, is there any clarification from m$ about this? or has people already reversed that in an other thread?

4. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Is this really so? Windows 8.1 works the same, you are supposed to activate by phone when you change hardware, but I have completely new PC and activated online using the same key I used on my old PC, did not have to call Microsoft.

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    He is talking about a OEM license, a retail license can be used on any one PC at a time you have. If you have a OEM and it activated on another machine, the server made a mistake, because you CAN'T use the OEM on another system and it's tied to it for life. Unless the Mobo dies, and say Dell/HP sends you a replacement in which case I have seen hundreds of people get deactivated or the key blocked because they installed on a different system. They had to call MS and explain what happened and then MS gave them an Activation.