My opinion - Threshold2 sux, why... read my post

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by xslord, Nov 13, 2015.

1. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    maybe that is the issue... the USB drive his using.

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    or the usb port , I had problems with my usb 3.0 port (drivers cured that) then a usb stick (128 gig from corsair which I returned 3 times before it would work)
    so I had other usb 3.0 drives and sticks to help me check things out !

3. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    #23 genenioo, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    I wrote this in another forum where people were bitching and moaning all over the place about threshold2 so figured I'd also post it here as a little food for thought appropriate to the original poster's complaints:

Sure there are numerous problems with this as well as any upgrade or new version of Windows. But you have to remember that Microsoft is developing a very complex instrument that services innumerable hardware and software configurations going up against a virtually unlimited number of users many of whom have not configured their systems with proper care or knowledge. On top of that there is also almost no limit to the amount of adware, malware and trojans floating around that the OS also has to contend with. We also must remember that Microsoft is a business with a huge payroll and goodness knows how many other expenses competing in a ruthless economic system of every company and individual for itself/himself. I'm not trying to defend everything that they have done or not done but just wish to point out the environment in which they operate and ask whether every critic thinks he or she could do any better under such circumstances. As I said before I certainly know that I could not. If you really think about all this you might wonder, as I do, how anything at all really works with the operating system. We almost universally have problems with new releases but I think we have to admit that when looking at the big picture that things work relatively well and that problems that come up usually do get solved in the end one way or the other. So before we lay so much criticism at Microsoft's door I think we should first walk in the shoes of those who produce the code in Redmond.

4. xslord

xslord MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Genenioo,

Well written genenioo, i would fully agree with you, if it wasn't for the fact that this product isn't for free (at least not for us), so (to my opinion) your argument(s) are totally valid for beta/test releases and not for a final release.

I even would accept issues from some rare or obscure functionality, but not from things like "SYSPREP" or "Windows To Go" these are to important functionalities.

Regards
    And thanks for your reaction

5. xslord

xslord MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hi Sebus,

Thanks for your reply! I really don't mind a bit of a challenge (which any OS has always been) but i expect (for something we pay - and quite a lot) that the major functions like SYSPREP (and also Windows To Go) works, at least on the final release.

6. Cargasok

Cargasok MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2014
    I made an upgrade with TH2 and its working great at my end. It works as advertised. I installed the update using a USB and BOOM it works great at my end.

I even run a clean install and still TH2 Performs greatly as advertised. Maybe it is in your system or UBS being used or maybe other factors that contributed to your experience.:eek:

12 Destop and Laptop to be exact updated by TH2 and all running great. Works like a charm..:clap:

7. xslord

xslord MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Yee! your installation works, congrats! But did you noticed that i was specifically complaining about a "Windows To Go" setup? Are you currently using such a setup and is "TH2" ?

8. Cargasok

Cargasok MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2014
    Well, sorry for not ready it thoroughly.. I Stand corrected. But I've manage to use windows to go because our system supervisor has mandated our department of mandatory to posses Windows To Go so we can access files even if no laptop or desktop in venues of some of our seminars/trainings and hotels has flat screen tv.. All we ask from the front desk of the hotel are mouse and keyboard. Is that windows to go that you mean?

9. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015

dude have u tried a different usb drive as other members have suggest it to see if u can run win to go?

10. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    threads like this made by non experienced users needs to be closed they need to do a ton of reading first and fix there own caused issues

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yes, totally agree. Audit mode, sysprep, recovery - these should never be broken on an OS. I'm currently having issues with the RESET function not completing 100%. Basic functions...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. xslord

xslord MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2009
    #32 xslord, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    (OP)
    Hi Cargasok,

I am not sure if your environment is using the same, but here is the process/workflow (in short) we, at our enterprise, use before we deploy a new Windows OS version (using SCCM - System Center Configuration Manager or MDT - Microsoft Deployment Tool)

1. Create a "Windows To Go" installation on a USB2/3 connected SSD (or a HDD) using "Control Panel / Windows To Go"
    2. When the above has completed, bootup from it.
    3. After finishing check if there are (already) new updates, add some Program Features and cleanup (so nothing fancy)
    4. Generalize, using SYSPREP (without using any AUTOANSWER or UNATTEND xml)
    5. And check it again by repeating step 3!
    We have been doing this since Windows 8 up to 10 (bld.10240) Enterprise without ever having any issues!!!

But now with THRESHHOLD 2, we are having a big issue at step 3, it startsbootup and then we get an error:

Windows could not load required file WinSetup.dll
    The file may be corrupt. To install Windows, restart the installation
    Error code 0x7E

Got any question(s) let me know!

BTW: Using an alternate way to create a "Windows To Go" from the TH2 Enterprise, we where able to successfully create a WTG, but unfortunately we found other issues after applying the latest MS updates.

So all and all TH2 sux big time (and we're not the only ones, experiencing this, despite of all the other ppl who are satisfied, but then i don't know nothing about their

13. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    i tried windowtogo used rufus to make it and everything runs without issue might want to get more experience

14. michaelmyers

michaelmyers MDL Member

May 28, 2015
    What I find interesting is most of the people complaining about Windows 10 say they are "Network/System Admins", but lack very basic Windows knowledge and are complaining about little things that someone with that position wouldn't even be bothering with.

Stop claiming to be something you're not ;)

Not to mention that when you say it "sux", it's hard to take anything you say seriously after that.

15. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is he trying to setup wintogo on Pro or Enterprise?.....maybe the problem is with enterprise remember this is still a TP with bugs.....try Pro and use rufus and see if it works for u.

16. michaelmyers

michaelmyers MDL Member

May 28, 2015
    People should really question why someone who keeps saying he is a "Network/System Admin" who implies he paid a lot of money for the enterprise stuff, is asking basic questions on MDL when he should have access to support elsewhere or know what he's doing in the first place.

Come on :rolleyes:

People here should be smarter than this.

17. GTK48

GTK48 MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Who is the guy that forced you to update to Windows 10. Don't like it go back to whatever OS you were using.

18. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    no the RTM was release for TH2 thats what he is using

19. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Can I ask why you need it ?, are you trying to get windows into a prison.

Why would somebody allow you to place your USB into their system, where do you go that you can't carry a laptop, just pointing out some questions.