My Windows 10 laptop sits on a shelf...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by windowsfan3829, Mar 19, 2019.

1. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
  2. satrianiboys

satrianiboys MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2014
    It's a metaphor, mate....

3. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    I'll answer that -- the number one thing I can't do with Windows 10 is run without constant problems.

Windows 7 is solid and stable. Windows 10 is the exact opposite. Microsoft's constant tinkering has created a gigantic mess of bugs and glitches. I've lost count of how many times Windows 10 has corrupted my hard drives. (something that never happened with Win7). Fortunately I'm really anal about doing backups, but I'm tired of being forced to spend hours recovering files from backups. I'm tired of things not working because Windows 10 randomly changes file permissions.

Windows 10 actually has quite a few features that I like, but it just isn't worth it anymore. Even if you actually get everything working exactly the way you want it, there's no stability. One day, something goes KABLOOEY and there's no way to fix it except wipe the drive and start over. That's getting old.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #24 Krager, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Amen brother, constant issues because the damn thing has become too much of a mess.

Though I have to mention I've not experienced disk corruption due to anything other than a hardware issue, which I've had. I was using SanDisk SSDs that were giving me trouble with my machine. Wasn't just one SanDisk SSD either, whole stack of them built up from previous machines. I've since gone to Samsung and Intel SSDs with no issues. Needless to say I'll be staying away from SanDisk.

I think handling the disk reliably is pretty much the primary job of the OS. If it can't handle that it's time to throw in the towel.

5. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
    That's interesting. At work, I deployed and manage a fleet of hundreds of PC laptops, and Win10 is the one where, if there is some issue, typically with a third-party tool, and I ask the very casual question "when's the last time you rebooted?" the answer isn't usually definite, it's "uh.. hmmm.." and I need to remind them that Windows Update was a couple of weeks ago and "oh yeah it may have been around then." I think leaving a PC laptop running for several days without an issue is pretty good.

Lest you think Windows is alone here, over the last 2-3 years our Macs get the same troubleshooting. Any problem? "When's the last time you rebooted?" ... tends to fix most issues. This is a platform where Apple controls both sides of the ecosystem so I hold them to a higher standard. Clearly they do not themselves.

6. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I can't say anything for Mac since I've never used one, but Windows uses hiberboot by default for shutdown. So the only time you manually get a full reboot is when you select restart from the shutdown menu which nobody is going to do normally. So between sleep and shutdown the computer never reboots fully.

I turned off hiberboot (faststart) on my laptop. When I shut down I want shutdown, not sort of shutdown. Also hiberboot was giving me some trouble with certain power settings on my system so I had to disable it anyway. Also allows hibernate to be shut off (powercfg -h off) which frees up a pretty big chunk of drive space.