Mystery CPU usage in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kilton, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kilton

kilton MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #1 kilton, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    I'm seeing constant 8% CPU usage in Task Manager even though nothing in the Processes tab reports such usage. The attached image is with the CPU column sorted -- the top application is using 1%, but at the bottom you can see that 8% of the CPU is being used. When I looked on the Performance tab, about 45% of one of the CPU's eight threads is in use at all times.

Anyone else seeing this?

Attached Files:

2. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Can you post a bigger pic? Can't see a damn thing in that tiny one! :)

3. wesh

wesh MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    hey there,

maybe one of the gadgets that come pre-installed is using your cpu resources. Could also be some software running hidden on the background. Type " msconfig " in the run command and check which applications run automatically on start-up and disable any unneeded one.

4. kilton

kilton MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Bigger picture posted. :)

I actually just turned off Digsy's spyware -- that's what got me looking at this. If it were Digsby or any other program, shouldn't it show up under Processes?

5. Besstheone

Besstheone MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2009
    hi may be u can check show process from all users :)

6. Ajavas

Ajavas MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2008
    :) It's probably the Indexing Service running in the background....;)

7. kilton

kilton MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Oops, forgot about this. Here's an image with all processes. It says 'idle' is using 98%, but CPU usage at the bottom says 9%.

Attached Files:

8. Rodzilla_16

Rodzilla_16 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Agree with this user. Click "Show processes for all users" so you can see the system processes.

9. kilton

kilton MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    So no one else is seeing this in Task Manager? If not, that makes me feel better because it must be something I have installed (rather than Windows itself). Kind of sucks that the Processes tab doesn't show it -- maybe a bug?

10. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    My "CPU Usage: ##%" is typically higher than the added processes, but not by much maybe +5~10% at most normally, 2~4% with 'Show Processes from All Users'.

If I were to make a guess, it's the 32/64bit mixed apps (if you indeed are running both).

11. kilton

kilton MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Interesting, thanks. I wasn't aware that mixed apps could be a problem. Do you happen to have a link handy on this?

12. kilton

kilton MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I just looked in Resource Monitor and the extra 8% is due to System Interrupts. Interesting -- at least that's progress.