NanaZip - Open source file archiver intended for the modern Windows experience

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Mouri_Naruto, Sep 25, 2021.

Wont Never |

1. Mouri_Naruto

Mouri_Naruto MDL Developer

Jul 10, 2014
    There are some issues from the toolchain need to be solved before releasing a legacy installer style version.

Kenji Mouri

2. MDLdaily

MDLdaily MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2023
    Hello Mouri_Naruto.

I have a few questions I hope you'll answer.

1. Will NanaZip be able install without internet some day? Currently it's impossible to use the software in a completely offline environment (installation).
    2. Is it correct to assume NanaZip more secure than 7-Zip? I see on Github all executable files have CFG enabled.
    3. In relation to question two, do you or anyone else in the project check all dependencies for malicious components or behavior? As it's a smaller project vulnerabilities could be quite bad and unseen.
    4. Does NanaZip do anything regarding compression and decompression which could risk corruption, or is all critical code taken form 7-Zip without modification?
    5. Could customization of the context menu be possible regarding what hash algorithms are displayed? Would be great if I could add Blake2sp, but customization in genereal is great.

Thank you a lot.

3. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    Here are answers:

1. Of course, NanaZip will add unpackaged support after the modernization work is completed.
    2. I don't know. Maybe and I hope that.
    3. All NanaZip dependencies are made by me and the people I trusted. People can review all implementations.
    4. All critical code taken form 7-Zip and 7-Zip ZS without modification in most cases unless it has bugs.
    5. I will make a HASH selection UI to replace that because NanaZip supports many HASH algorithms.

Kenji Mouri

4. DJxSpeedy

DJxSpeedy MDL Senior Member

Jan 7, 2008
    nice one thx ;)
    mostly i only posted becorse i didnt know if that program is dead or alive :D

im sorry man ;)

5. MDLdaily

MDLdaily MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2023
    Thank you for answering, great work you're doing.

6. litvcom

litvcom MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2014
    Will it work on Windows Server 2022?

7. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    Of course, because NanaZip still support Windows 10 Version 20H1 or later.

Kenji Mouri

8. DJxSpeedy

DJxSpeedy MDL Senior Member

Jan 7, 2008
    is this program still alive ???

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    #120 Mouri_Naruto, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    (OP)
    Yesterday, I have found I met the "Longhorn Build 4093" moment in NanaZip project. And I found Mr. Igor changed a lot from 22.01 to 23.01. 7-Zip has 1200+ source code files and he changed 950+.

So, I start to do something similar to "Longhorn Reset" in NanaZip. First, I start to rewrite the core implementation based on 7-Zip 23.01. Everyone can see the progress in NanaZip.Core project in NanaZip repository.

I have done several commits and progress is so smooth than I thought before.

After I have done the 7-Zip ZS feature integration for NanaZip.Core. I will remove lots of old implementations.

Also, 7-Zip's ABI compatibility looks nice. I have replaced the 7z.dll in 7-Zip 22.01 mainline to NanaZip.Core.dll. And it's all fine. It's OK to use all extra HASH algorithms I integrated to NanaZip.Core.dll just now.

upload_2023-9-14_22-35-28.png

So, it may need some time to release the next preview of NanaZip. I hope I can finish this work before October.

Kenji Mouri