Necessary to Patch in ei.cfg?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ktan91, Mar 16, 2010.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  2. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I think there's edition switchers and ei.cfg removal tools because a quick patch to an ISO to mark a file as deleted (with a 5KB download) is a lot slicker, and a lot quicker than recompiling the ISO using non-free software.

Plus I think the author said "Hey I could just patch the ISO" and then wrote a program that did.

I would say the ei.cfg removal tool is idiot proof, but time and time again people keep overthinking how to use it, ask questions and wait hours for replies instead of just trying it, try to add the executable to the ISO, or for some strange reason prefer to mess with UltraISO or MagicISO.

3. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  4. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
  5. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    dude.. read the post !
    it's not booting that is the issue here .. my god !

6. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    How about if you use the MS usb/dvd iso tool to put it on a usb stick. And then delete the ei.cfg file when it is done. Will this problem occur that you guys are having trouble with during install?

7. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Glad I could help... I have never used MagicISO so I don't know what the difference are.

8. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    yea man.. thanks alot!
    i have been using MagicISO for years . . pretty much since i got into Warez ..
    and being a loyal person.. i stuck with it and never strayed..

i can't believe no one has ever mentioned this to me through out this time..
    i have mentioned MagicISO numerous times..

i just uninstalled MagicISO & MagicDisc ..
    and installed UltraISO 9 Premium .. and it comes with a Virtual Drive ..

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread ..
    This thread has cleared up alot of things for me :cool:

9. sofatiger51

sofatiger51 MDL Senior Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Why is this utility beneficial?
    Because Microsoft uses a special software to create Windows 7 ISO Images... and if you extract the ISO and rebuild it yourself.. it will not boot .. unless you use CDimage or WAIK .. which can be time-consuming and even intimidating for people who are not familiar with the process ..[/QUOTE]

I used Ultra Iso by deleting the eicfg in source folder, save and burn into an AIO bootable Windows 7 out of an original untouched MSDN Windows 7 professional. It will boot and install Windows 7 as I tested it on 2 computers.

10. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Can any one please answer this? Would greatly appreciate it.

11. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    #36 iamanoob, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Dude.. have you read the thread? this has already been answered..

More than likely it will not work.. unless you remove "ei.cfg" first with UltraISO .. then put it on the USB ..

Don't hold me to this.. as i don't use that tool or USB for installation ..

but using logic.. that's my guess :)

12. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Could someone please tell me the advantage of installing Windows 7 from a DVD or flash drive containing the image file rather than the extracted files.

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #38 timesurfer, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Only in an virtual machine like virtual box can you just use ISO. Otherwise you have to burn/extract/mount the ISO to media to have its data be usable files. e.g. Have the setup .exe file to install windows

So I guess the advantage of putting windows 7 as usable files on DVD or USB vs. just mounting is that you have a repair disk to use for start up problems like when using loader or any reason you need to recover windows:)

So this has been interesting concerning the whole ISO conversion with "ei.cfg" deal...lol

Apparantly when mounting or editing the "ei.cfg" file, magic ISO sucks. I remember having to open some file once that I couldn't open with ultra ISO or power ISO that only magic ISO would work with which is why I used it at all! Otherwise I prefer Ultra ISO since it mounts easily and extracts/burns with no problems.

I think not to over do this topic that just using that "ei.cfg" patch program is the easiest way or when you have files on DVD then just delete "ei.cfg"

14. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    + 1

You got that right :)
    But also don't forget about PowerISO .. i remember trying that as well, after having problems with MagicISO, with no success ...

It just boggles my mind why UltraISO is any different ..

im not complaining at all :) im just stoked that i now have a tool to help me compile Windows 7 in no time ..

What i also noticed is MagicISO took forever to compile ISO images.. (approx. a few minutes)
    UltraISO took a few seconds !

thanks for trying MagicISO on your VBox earlier .. i felt so helpless .. almost as if i was mute.. to explain something and no one understands :)

15. 91011

91011 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    I don't know what you're doing wrong with MagicISO but I've made at least 10 bootable Win 7 versions with it and dropped in a modified ei.cfg file each time. The only time it failed to boot is when I forgot to add the boot image back into the ISO before saving.