Need a bios or something that will change my ion le to a full fledged ion

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by shroomalistic, Aug 8, 2010.

1. shroomalistic

shroomalistic MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Im trying to figure something out here and need to be pointed in the right directions. Please Help me someone.

Heres the deal. I own an Acer Aspire Revo 1600

It comes with a crippled ION LE that is really an ION. I want to convert it to a full fledged ION.

Ive read people have been able to do this with there HpMini 311 with a simple file ran threw dos. I believe its an hp dmi tool.

I want to be able to do the same thing to mine.

So ive tried a few things.
    The driver hack works but I dont want to have to hack every driver that comes out.

The Acer Aspire Revo 3610 comes with a full fledged ION, so I flash the 3610 bios on my 1600. Still nothing. Device ID is still 087E(ion le)

So I used MMTool and dug into the the 3610 bios, all the device id's for the onboard video show that its 087D(ION).

Now when I flash the bios, shouldnt it flash the onboard video too or does it not work that way.

Another thing I notice when digging into the 1600 and 3610 bios's, they are the same exact bios's. Nothing is different in them. I flashed the 1600 bios back onto it and when looking in bios it says my computer is a 3610.

So now Ive tried extracting the ION bios out of the 3610 and flash it onto the ION Le. NVflash just tells me its an invalid eeprom. NVFlash can detect the adapter just not read or write the rom from or to it.

Is there a special command with afudos(ami flash utility) that will flash the entire bios? Why do they put the ion bios in the full bios if it doesnt flash it?

This is really driving me nuts cause I know its possible just not working.

Is there a command for afudos that flashes the onboard vga bios too? if not why is the vga bios located in the original bios

PS, sorry i dont have a high enough post count to post the links.

2. shroomalistic

shroomalistic MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    #2 shroomalistic, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    (OP)
    So i just dumpped the bios just to see if it would be a ion bios in it or a ion le and its an ion.

So where can it be changing? between boot up and loading into dos or windows its changes into an le?

3. Fedora

Fedora MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2010

Hi!

To force flashing with nvidia flash, type this :

nvflash -4 -5 -6 file.rom

I have something to ask you, could you kindly upload the full ION bios please?
    (On megaupload for example)
    I want to flash it too.
    Please send me the link of the upload to "gnirfou AT gmail.com" , thank you. ;)

4. shroomalistic

shroomalistic MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Email sent. The problem with flashing it is the eeprom isnt supported by nvflash. So the adapter is supported by it but not the eeprom. My father in law has the 3610 and I have the 1600. If someone can figure out how to get nvflash to work the I can back up the for sure bios from the 3610 and flash it on my 1600. Ive already talk to mavke about it too(the make of nvflash) he said he cant support it with out actually have a revo in front of him to work with.

I used mmtool to extract the bios.

5. Fedora

Fedora MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2010
    Hi!

Have you tried using Nibitor to extract the bios directly under windows, from your graphic card?

Or is it GPU-Z which has this option?

One of them has for sure this option.

You would have the correct bios rom, and you could flash it by forcing with nvflash. ;)

If you succeed please send me the correct bios. ^^

6. shroomalistic

shroomalistic MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    gpu-z wont do it, says "bios reading not supported on this device"

7. Fedora

Fedora MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2010
    Too bad... =/

What os are you running?

It seems netbook with vista/seven have full ion...

And HP 311c has a trick involving bios os recognition (xp to vista/seven)

8. shroomalistic

shroomalistic MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    im runnings windows 7 home premium x64.

The hp trick is extactly what im trying to figure out. Im sure acer is doing the same thing cause they are the exact same chips in both 3610 and 1600.

The ion bios that I extracted loads into nibitor but since its not supported it gives you an option to choose what generation of card it is. Highest gen to choose from is 8k series. shader clock reads correctly along with everything else but core clocks.

9. shroomalistic

shroomalistic MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    #9 shroomalistic, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    (OP)
    from what im reading the hp dmi utility updates the ecsd area of the bios, does anyone know what program I can use to do that manually?

Or what about clearing the dmi pool so it can rebuild from the new bios I flashed?