need advice on what vritual machine to use

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by shadow5555, Dec 11, 2008.

1. shadow5555

shadow5555 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    i have a server that i would like to run some testing on with virtual machines, but not sure what one would suit my machine the best for performance use since i use this box for other things also.

specs:

p4 2.8 dual core
    4gig ddr2 400mhz
    msi board
    300gig windows
    3 320gig for storage

I have been running M$ virtual pc 2007 and with one virtual pc running an install and some tasks per task manager performance iam sitting at about 1.56gigs in use and the cpu goes from 20-50% in use depending on what tasks i have running

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    #2 datcat, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    I've used VirtualBox, Virtual PC (older version), and Vmware Workstation, but I haven't used them extensively. Overall I like Vmware the most so that's what I currently have installed. One feature I like is being able to copy files between vm and host by dragging them from one window to another. (Maybe the others have that too.) Another good feature is you can mod the bios with Phoenix BIOS Editor. :)

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can drag and drop in Virtual PC once Virtual Machine Additions are installed plus it's a hell of a lot smaller than VMWare its getting really bloated in size:(

5. abogangster

abogangster MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    I guess that depends on the mix of OS'es you plan to use.

For Windows XP or Vista as host, and any flavour of Windows as guest, I recommend MS Virtual PC, small memory use for the virtualization app itself, and great compatibility, however a really poor (and I mean POOOR!!!!) performance from the IDE interface of the Virtual Machine.

If you want to install any flavour of Linux as guest OS, don't even try MS VPC, go for VirtualBox 2.1, also recommended if you want to use Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.xx as host OS, or maybe SuSe 11.x (slight problem with USB support on Linuz, but help avaliable from VirtualBox Website).

VMware???, I see no reason to use, unless of course you already have some virtual machines in that format.