Need Assistance with Clean Install of Windows 8.1 on W8.1 OEM Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hjlbx, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #21 Rab, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Do you use USB3 storage and wireless mouse? Or Mouse in USB3 port...

USB3 causes RF interferrence. It can destroy the connection in a bad way for wireless mouse/keyboard. Bluetooth, WiFi, and RF can be badly interrfered by this.

If you do have USB3-storage connected, try to unplug it and check if the problem persists. It will disapear compleatly it that is the problem.

/Rab

2. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    PNP=Plug And Play. Thats what's telling tha operating system what is what and ques the correct driver. It does more that that, but in this case that is the interresting bit.

/Rab

3. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015

My system is Toshiba laptop so I only use touchpad. It does however, have a single USB 3.0 port.

I have no external devices connected to my system ... other than the occasional USB flash drive - which is very infrequent.

Everyone is at a loss on the freezing/lagging cursor as to what exactly could be the cause ... but Microsoft openly states they have ongoing issues beginning with W8.

Sometimes I think it is network related, but despite a lot of help I cannot link the issue to anything.

I have to try something.

4. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    The OEM-BOOT partition doesnt get deleted unles you tell it. It just gets over-written with the new Boot information.
    Following my tutorial WILL WIPE the disk. No way to return to factory once that is done!
    The new layout mimics that of a factory install, but without all the bloatware reulting in a faster and snappier system.

Just remember that untill you start that process you can recover to factory default, whilst afterwards you can only recover to the clean install. (Thoe that in my oppinion is better...)

/Rab

5. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    Thank you for clarification.

My desire was to wipe the OEM boot partition instead of an over-write.

Whatever the case may be I am going to proceed.

So in summary:

Download W8.1 Core ISO to USB flash drive (done).

Download system drivers from Toshiba support site and place in folder on same flash drive as W8.1 ISO.

Use Rufus to make USB flash drive bootable.

Follow your guide.

That's it?

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    This isn't for you Rab, its for hjlbx ;)
    If you have a missing driver in Device Manager, goto Properties --> Details --> Hardware ID's then copy and paste the ID into Google one of the answers will tell what the device is.

You are doing the right thing, reading up about what your going to do and asking questions.
    e.g. You've already got the USB install drive sorted thanks to Rab. Your learning the best way to get drivers. And you'll see if the UEFI/BIOS needs tweaking when you start to install. ;)

When you install any OS it will almost always over write the old sector/partition, as different OS's use different types.

I think its still Plug and Pray on most laptops. :p

7. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Skip Rufus. Youre already done in that respect. The USB is already bootable.
    If you'll follow my tutorial be WERRY carefull when using the Recoveryscript, since the documentation is a little off. The info lacking is given in the error message when running the updatescript.
    Autounattend is to be stored on a removable media in the ROOT. Thats E: to make it clear.
    This can be done on the install media if you like, but just aswell on any other removable media. And the Installer folder aswell...
    If the Downloaded drivers will fit... throw those in there in a folder aswell.

/Rab

8. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Youre absolutly right you are... :D

9. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    E: drive root -

E:\Autorunattend (folder)

I have 14.8 GB flash, so everything should fit to include the ISO, all drivers and the update script.

ZaForD ... yes, I already know the routine on missing drivers ... AMD is famous for extremely difficult-to-find driver installers... in other words, I've had to spend hours tracking down the driver and then locating each AMD installer.

I think when I get my next system it will be Intel and I will migrate to Linux ... but just maybe I don't know what the hell I am talking about. :D

10. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
  11. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015

I haven't done this yet. I will review tonight and post questions here tomorrow. You already covered a lot of ground and answered my questions.

Yes, I want recovery option.

Can't just use -recimg ?

12. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    You coud, but that will be customrecovery and that's not intierly the same thing.
    ...but it works.
    Have no idea timewise thoe if you actually save time that way.
    And I'm not intirely sure it will be as safely stored.

I'd go the extra mile and do it right the first time.

/Rab

13. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015

Right now I restore system using a custom system image - which I created by deleting all bloatware and then using -recimg.

Obviously, this is not working as cursor issue is still occurring.

I will be back tomorrow.

14. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    #34 hjlbx, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    (OP)

/Rab,

My AV is detecting AnarethoS as Trojan...have to white-list.

Use Windows 8 folder ... correct ? = as my system does not have SSD or eMMC / flash memory.

Please explain further on the above items in your reply ... they are covered in the AnarethoS documentation, but Autounattend.xml folder should be moved to E:\Autounattend and also move Installer folder to the E:\ root ... is this correct?

Many thanks...

hjlbx

15. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #36 Rab, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Virusfree, just whitelist it.

Use Windows 8 folder ... correct ? Yes. The other alternative is only for WIM-Boot and not what youre after.

1.Copy all files from "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\$Required files - Do not distribute$\Windows 8\DVD Boot files - X64" to "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\Windows 8\Windows 8 Recovery Tools\Boot" 4 files
    2.Copy "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\$Required files - Do not distribute$\Common\OscdImg\OSCDIMG.EXE" to "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\Windows 8\Windows 8 Recovery Tools\OscdImg"
    3.Coppy "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\Windows 8\Windows 8 Recovery Tools\Settings - Examples\Image on the second partition - Recommended\GPT" to "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\Windows 8\Windows 8 Recovery Tools\Settings" 6 files.
    4.Run "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\Windows 8\Windows 8 Recovery Tools\Update_Settings.cmd" If it errors out. Read errormessage and correct the missing/misplaced files
    5.Copy "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\Windows 8\AutoUnattend\Image on the second partition - Recommended\GPT\Autounattend.xml" to E: root... no folder. Just the XML file.
    6.Copy "Recovery Tools 3.0.0.A3\Windows 8\Windows 8 Recovery Tools\Installer to E: root... the whole folder.
    7.Copy optional Drivers folder to "E:\Drivers"

In all instances above E: = your USB installation drive/stick. Substitute with drive letter correct to your setup if needed.

Now!

8.Boot from the USB-stick. Press apropriate button on reboot to get to boot-menu and select the USB-stick. This is one of the cases you MIGHT run into patroll with secureboot, best turned off during innstallation.
    9.After installation DO NOT, i repeate, DO NOT close the sysprep-window. That WILL break the installation (rebooting is fine. Sysprep will reume. Do not close the window).
    10.Customize to your liking, do not bother with settings, just programs updates and drivers. (The PowerShell part is quite handy here as it will get the updates done. Updates blocked by design to not interfer with sysprep. This is a workaround)
    11.Reboot (just in case).
    12.Run command "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase" to clean and shrink the updated install.
    13.Reboot (just in case).
    14.When customizing is done execute the sysprep. Go shoping or somthing that takes a few hours since this really can take ages.

Your done. Test the recovery enviroment just to be sure and enjoy your fresh computer.

Virusvarning is a false positive. AnarethoS knows what he is doing.

/Rab