Need BIOS Expert help...

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by teknomedic, Oct 23, 2009.

1. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    Sorry I'm asking this here, I really have no idea who to ask about this...

This might get complicated, but I'll try to summerize a little... I'm not a BIN expert, but maybe some here can tell me why I'm running into a wall...

Motherboard = Asus P5N-T Deluxe
    BIOS Chip = Winbond w39v080apz (may be similar to SST49LF008)

I've flashed this board before without any issues... so I requested v1501 of this BIOS to be modded with Asus v2.1 SLIC for Windows 7. That was completed and I tried to flash the BIOS. The AWDFLASH.exe locked up at the 10000 or maybe 100000 block.

Not a big deal I thought as I own a Top2048 eprom programmer... so I pulled the chip and placed into my Top2048. I loaded the software and can't get ANY of the Asus BIN files to program. (I re-downloaded all the available BIOS files from Asus just in case it was a bad mod)

I can erase the chip, I can then read the chip and even program the "blank" data... but when I load any of the BIN files I get an instant failure.

So... are these normal BIN files tha can be programmed?... or are they an odd format for Asus and the awdflash program?

I'll take any advice about this, but can only to do so much since I'm at work... although I brought my programmer and the BIOS chip with me.

Thanks for any tips!

2. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    I admit defeat... ordered myself a new programmer with far better software. :)

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Did you use the AWARDFlash from the utilities menu??? It appears to be a normal file..

Be sure it is not read only or write protected..(the .BIN)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    Yeah, I used the awdflash from the utilities menu... and the file isn't write protected or read only.

TBH, it was a risk to flash that board because it appeared that the BIOS was already corrupted. I'll be ordering a new BIOS chip from Asus... that along with my new programmer should get that PC up and running again.

The only problem is that I have another P5N-T Deluxe, so I've put flashing that one on hold until I can save myself again using my own programmer.

Saddly, any news on if the mod will work with said board is on hold for at least a week.