Need help clean installing vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vistadude, Oct 7, 2008.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
  2. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #2 petar, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #3 vistadude, Oct 7, 2008
    (OP)
  4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #4 petar, Oct 7, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #5 urie, Oct 7, 2008
  6. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #6 vistadude, Oct 8, 2008
    (OP)
  7. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    You can use keyboard shorcuts to backup your data without rightclicking...:)
    I asume you already know this, but never the less here is how it goes...:eek:

Ctrl+C = Copy
    Ctrl+X = Cut
    Ctrl+V = Paste

8. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Why is windows so painful. Here's what I learned.

For files, I can drag and drop them without much problem. This only moves files, not copies them.

I can right click most data files and choose copy. If i'm fast enough, I can paste without causing an explorer crash. Keyboard shortcuts immediately cause an explorer crash.

Shortcuts cannot be right clicked, or copied using keyboard shortcuts - hopefully I don't need to backup any of these.

All exe files cannot be copied with shortcuts - drag and drop *may* work.

This is going to be a joy to send to an external racing against time :p

9. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Hold down Ctrl while "drag and drop", it will copy not move the file..:rolleyes:

10. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi Petar,

Thanks for the awesome tip and for all your help! It works!

Now, for the vista dvd, it burned correctly, but didn't verify. One or more files didn't copy when compared to the iso for some reason. I think I'll take the iso to another pc and try to burn it again.

Arg,, I also realized that HP supplies most, but not all the drivers for 64 bit. The tv tuner driver is not available, I suppose the manufacturer of the card has a 64 bit one, hopefully it's not bloated. Also I won't have my cool Roxio burning software or lightscribe software. I'm sure there are some decent free ones but this version that came with my hp was simple and didn't have tons of useless editors and video makers.

I also won't have Canon Photostitch, but I have it installed on an old xp machine already, or Digital Image 2006, but I supposed I can try windows photogallery or media center. Argg, and I heard my scanner's drivers for vista 64 bit are buggy :D