Need help deleting a folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by stevvie, Apr 20, 2010.

1. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I know you are trying to delete a folder but, if the files inside the folder are active or being used or viewed by you or someone else, then you cannot delete the folder. Taking ownership will give you the rights to delete but, I would download a program called fileassassin. Just do a google for fileassassin and go to the malwarebytes location and down the third choice the portable one, which is just the program. cnet downloads has it too. Then using fileassassin, delete every program in that folder. Now, you can delete the folder..... Good Luck, hope this helps.

2. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    He has already deleted the file by booting into XP, see post#19

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stevvie

stevvie MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2007
    #23 stevvie, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    (OP)
    Folder was EMPTY, as windows7 seems to like folders to be empty to delete them. I have seen this aLOt in windows7 where it cannot delete a folder, but if I then empty the folder it can delete it. I tried that fileassassin but as the name suggests it works on files and not folders.

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    like I said, try a checkdisk on your hard drive. That should remove it. Also try to run any registry cleaning programs and see if that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tahunasky

Tahunasky MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #25 Tahunasky, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    I have had this problems a few times with files and folders. What i did was del from command prompt.

dir /x (will list the files/folders in the old dos format 8.3)
    then you can delete using the name you get..
    eg: downloads dir would be downlo~1 so i would do.
    (make sure the dir is empty / can use this method for files too.)

del downlo~1

Hope this helps