Need help downgrading Lenovo w541 bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by gambal, Feb 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. gambal

gambal MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    Hello,
    Need help downgrading Lenovo w541 bios from v2.42 to v2.32 for example but instructions from Lenovo say: "If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.41 or higher, it is no longer able to roll back to the version before 2.41 for security improvement."
    When trying to roll back early versions than 2.41 I get this: "Bios image file does not match your system".
    Is it possible to downgrade a Lenovo bios prior a locked version?
    Here are bios versions: "support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS039077"

2. Hunterrules0_0

Hunterrules0_0 MDL Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Try opening command prompt and running the exe with /forceit

heres an example:
    Bios-update-name-here.exe /forceit

I hope this helps you and I wish you the best of luck.

3. gambal

gambal MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    Thanks for the reply.
    Running "gnuj29us.exe /forceit" in CMD as admin doesn't make any change - same error. Trying to execute WINUPTP64.exe in the unzipped directory also doesn't give any change.
    Probably somebody who has more experience with "winflash.exe" can say the right command structure?

4. Hunterrules0_0

Nov 27, 2021
    #4 Hunterrules0_0, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Acutally try winflash and add /nodate /forceit see if that works

5. gambal

gambal MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    Already tried yesterday winflash with "/forceit" - gives unrecognised command, "/nodate" is also unrecognised. To impose flashing of older versions people clime to have success with "winflash /sd", but this is a different situation as Lenovo has placed additional security restrictions -> "If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.41 or higher, it is no longer able to roll back to the version before 2.41 for security improvement."
    Another particular feature, as far as I am able to understand, is that this bios is made of two files, first file containing main BIOS ID, and second file containing ECP ID. So I suppose there should be a more sophisticated command with winflash to bypass restrictions and flash both parts.
    Please, give advise only if you have experience flashing such bioses!

6. Hunterrules0_0

Nov 27, 2021
    Im sorry then but im afraid Im a little stumped here Ill do more research tonight