Need help, new PC build causes stutter in some games.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Xplay, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I just did a major upgrade on my computer and games like Need for speed World and GTA4 stutter a lot every few seconds. It can't be lag because for example when I run the benchmark on GTA4 I'm getting 63Fps on all high settings. When I play FPS games there is no stutter what so ever and everything is smooth on Max settings, but these games that have an open world cause stutter every few seconds as to before they didn't. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
    ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Motherbaord
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB Memory
    SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB Video Card
    Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Power Supply
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Hard drive

The only two items I'm reusing from my old build is the video card and hard drive to my new build. When I played the same games such as Need for Speed World with the same video card I wouldn't get stutter at all with my old build and everything was smooth with the same settings and that was with duel core processor at 2.5GHz and 4 gigs of ram. GTA4 did lag with old build at high setting and only get about 20 or so Fps but with the new build getting 63 Fps I'm not understanding what is causing this as my specs are much higher than before. I've tested the hard drive and memory for errors no errors are shown. The video card I used before and I never had any problem with it. Like I said before playing FPS games it runs great but when I play these games that have an open world that I drive around it stutters. No matter what setting the graphics is on from lowest to highest the stutter is still there on Need for Speed but with GTA4 the stutter does get worse the higher I put the settings. I don't have anything over clocked so I don't know what else could be causing this? Does anyone have any input on this? Anything would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. cynarch

cynarch MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2010
    If the game you played is installed on harddisk, have you ever considered that this problem might be caused by your old harddrive?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I've considered it being a problem but I did do a test and haven't found any errors and also everything else I run seems to run smooth. These game are open world so I'm wondering if maybe its just taking time to load the textures as I'm moving along. Could it be my HDD is too slow and somehow bottlenecking with my new build?

4. cynarch

cynarch MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Yes that was what I was referring to. Your HDD is not faulty, only that maybe it can’t cope with your new system’s speed. You may want to do another test possibly using newer or newest HDD if you have or you can borrow from your friend, to make sure, before you get a new one.
    One of my systems has two HDD same brand Seagate (on same motherboard dual boot). One older 500 GB, and the other is newest 1 TB and it has XFX-AT Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 256bit. On both HDD I installed same W7 64bit and NIS 2010. On the older HDD when I play a game there is always lagging sometimes during the play and also when after I paused and play again. Scanning 900 MB files with NIS took 80 to 90 seconds. While with the new one there is no lagging at all and scanning same 900 GB of files took only 32 to 34 seconds. The difference is amazing isn’t it? That is my system, maybe yours is different and that is why it's worth to have further test.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Is the 500GB HDD your primary HDD on the new computer? If so have you reformatted it? If not you may want to consider driver compatibility issues.

6. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Yeah looking into this more I think it might just be the HDD. I don't have any newer ones laying around to test so I will eventually just buy a 1 TB soon with more cache and see what happens. As for now all my other programs and games run smooth, just those to games are giving me stutter. I will post back with my results when I have a new drive, thanks for the advise.

7. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Yeah its my primary and I always reformat when I do a fresh install. Will test with another newer HDD soon and see what happens.