Need help with backing up OEM recovery partition

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by prashantsays, Oct 22, 2021.

1. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    #1 prashantsays, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    I need storage free on my internal ssd and came to know about 20gb OEM recovery partition, also my laptop doesnt have encryption enabled by default for some reason and it might be because of this partition, I want to keep a backup of this partition on my external hdd just incase I need it in future and clean install windows 11 to see that windows 10 home default encryption kicks in.
    Sorry for not mentioning the laptop: asus zephyrus g14

Attached Files:

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could simply use the free Macrium Reflect 7 to backup that OEM Recovery Partition to an external (or internal!) storage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Use the tool provided by your notebook manufacturer to backup the recovery to usb key. Then you're free to re-install from usb whenever you want.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Execute diskpart and assign a drive lettre to your oem partition.

5. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    i've seen that people have to reassign various stuff to make that partition work again after backing it up, Is there a way to make a bootable iso that it can be used with a thumb drive like windows installation media? Its an asus laptop

6. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    I dont know if simply copying its files would be usable for recovery when needed

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Are you sure you have anything stored on this partition at all?
    If so, you can, of course, save its contents anywhere and take up the free space, and you can restore it later if you really need it.
    The only thing you need to consider is that if it is a so-called buffer zone or reserved area automatically created by Windows, it will be done again the next time you install Windows. If it is empty, then is nothing to copy or backup at all, simply rezise one of partions and take it in use. If it is needed and made by Windows, it will be created back again as soon as Windows needs for it.

8. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    yes, there is windows 10 stock installation with all stock applications and drivers in that partition.