Need Help With HP Recovery Kits Windows 7 Premium

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by samaarons, Oct 25, 2009.

1. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    #21 samaarons, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  2. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    I think what dannyres means is:

1) Run HPBC259.exe, select [0], save output to file
    2) Run HPBC259.exe, select [1], save output to different file
    3) Compare the two output files to determine which characters are different between the two. The difference between the two files should be the different SKU option chosen in the two program runs of HPBC259.exe
    4) Determine what change would be necessary in the output file to produce SKU=2 and directly alter the output file with this change.
    5) Run HPBC259.exe and read the altered file. Write this file to the BIOS

I'm not sure how you would do step 4, but I've downloaded the eeprom utility you mentioned, and am trying to figure out get this output. If I can figure it out, I'll post the different outputs here.

3. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    #23 InsaneBeast, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    Alright, I've run V10B.bat twice, once setting SKU=0, and once setting SKU=1. I've saved the output from these runs and attached it to this post. I can tell that the files are different by running a diff on them, but I don't see any differences when I look at them using a hex editor.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised that the .DAT files uniquely identify my computer, so I'm removing the attachment.

4. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    #24 InsaneBeast, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    Sorry to post a reply to my own message, but I think I've found the difference between the two files and made the appropriate change. I've attached all three versions of the EEPROM files to this message.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised the .DAT files uniquely identify my computer, so I've removed the attachment.

5. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    Unfortunately, changing SKU=2 didn't enable me to complete the factory recovery operation. Instead I got a different error message further along in the process.

Attached Files:

6. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks for your interest and response. Like the old saying goes, "Better be late, than never."
    In response to your question, "...why are you bent on upgrading to win 7 with the recovery disk?"
    Insane did partially answer, "I like the HP branding that comes with the notebook." and I might add, there are HP customizations/apps/configuration, that I have not been able to get any other way. The Touchsmart notebook comes with unique configurations/experience that is not yet widespread.

Furthermore, this is an opportunity for me to learn about SLICs, Bios, hp cert , OEM keys etc. I am not a geek, but I am not too far either.

7. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
  8. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    #30 InsaneBeast, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I was finally able to successfully install windows 7 professional from the HP System Recovery disks to my HP TX2Z-1000. I've attached a screen capture from my desktop to show off the text input app.

I used Dannyres's suggestion to get past the win7 check, but wasn't able to use the EEPROM utility to fool the recovery app into thinking I originally had windows 7 professional installed. You can set flags for all the different windows7 distributions in EEPROM, but I tried to install win7 using each of the flags and all of them failed with the same error message. Rstone.exe is called early in the installation process and catches the flags as illegitimate. At some point after this, flags are set to 'dirty=1' and all sorts of errors are produced. That was the source of the error I posted earlier.

To get around this, I started the installation process, but when windows7 started to reboot after copying files to the hard-drive, I instead booted a linux liveCD. I then modified the file C:\System.Sav\bbv\CheckOSEdt.cmd by copying the desired distribution flag above the code that checks for the appropriate distribution flag:
    Code:
    :CHK_OS_FLAG
    @REM --------------------------------------------------
    @REM  Check Win7ConfigurationFlag and
    @REM  create the requried edition flag file

Echo [%time%] Professional is requried... >> C:\system.sav\Flags\ReqW7PR.flg
    GOTO END

SET ERRORLEVEL=
    FIND.exe /i "Win7ConfigurationFlag=0" "%RSTONE_FILE%" > nul
    IF [%ERRORLEVEL%] == [0] (Echo [%time%] Starter Edition is requried... >> C:\system.sav\Flags\ReqW7SE.flg) & (GOTO CHK_TESTIMAGE)
    SET ERRORLEVEL=
    FIND.exe /i "Win7ConfigurationFlag=1" "%RSTONE_FILE%" > nul
    IF [%ERRORLEVEL%] == [0] (Echo [%time%] Home Basic is requried... >> C:\system.sav\Flags\ReqW7HB.flg) & (GOTO END)
    SET ERRORLEVEL=
    FIND.exe /i "Win7ConfigurationFlag=2" "%RSTONE_FILE%" > nul
    IF [%ERRORLEVEL%] == [0] (Echo [%time%] Home Premium is requried... >> C:\system.sav\Flags\ReqW7HP.flg) & (GOTO END)
    SET ERRORLEVEL=
    FIND.exe /i "Win7ConfigurationFlag=3" "%RSTONE_FILE%" > nul
    IF [%ERRORLEVEL%] == [0] (Echo [%time%] Professional is requried... >> C:\system.sav\Flags\ReqW7PR.flg) & (GOTO END)

Finally, I rebooted the computer and let the system go through its first-boot process. I'll try to write down every step a bit later and attach it to this post for anyone who runs into the same problem in the future.

Attached Files:

9. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    Can someone upload their disc? I want to try the new input tablet.

Also does the fingerprint reader work properly?

10. draconis

draconis MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2009
    #32 draconis, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
    Edit: please dont post warez..

Alfa:);)

11. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    #33 samaarons, Nov 14, 2009
    (OP)
    I finally got around to using the process you suggested to use the Recovery Disk. Unlike yours, the Recovery disk I bought from HP is a Windows 7 Home Premium. As anticiapted it ended up installing Windows 7 Basic too (I noticed later on after I had completed my installation that you were able to modify additional files to get yours to install as a Windows 7 Professional).

I did run into an error much later on at the tail end of the installation, I am not sure what cause it but I used one of my retail Windows 7 Disk to do a repair and that took care of it. I have a Retail copy of Windows 7 Ultimate I paid, so I used the key to upgrade after all the HP customizations.

Once you are able to document how you got your disk to work as it should, I will be happy to do a do-over again.

12. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    The 2 disk are approx 12 gigs. For about $15, you can get it from HP.

13. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    #35 samaarons, Nov 14, 2009
    (OP)
    Well done!! When you are able, please document the steps here. I don't understand what HP is doing, but I got them to refund my payment. I wasted quite sometime on the phone with them for nothing.

14. doncerdo

doncerdo MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    #36 doncerdo, Nov 16, 2009
    Thanks InsaneBeast your procedure worked flawlessly! Now I have I have a fully working copy of the HP recovery discs.

Regarding the EEPROM procedure, as you stated it doesn't work. My guess is that you have to change either the UUID, serial or something like that to make it work. It probably checks that the tx2 was manufactured after a certain date later on in the install process.

Samaarons: the procedure is outlined by insanebeast works just as he says with my HP Recovery discs that contain Win 7 Home Premium. Start the recovery procedure, as soon as the PC makes its first restart, turn off the PC boot any linux distro and open the HD. Find the file ChckOSEdt.cmd (i thinck he misspelled it so just search for all files in the C:\System.Sav\bbv folder that contain OS and you will find it). Open it and find where

Code:
    @REM  Check Win7ConfigurationFlag and
    @REM  create the requried edition flag file

starts and delete everything and replace it with what insanebeast has quoted and you will be good to go. Good luck installing.

Cheers

15. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    #37 samaarons, Nov 16, 2009
    (OP)
    I have 2 questions:
    (1) although my HP disk is Windows 7 Home Premium, would insanebeast's procedure make it install any version of Windows 7 as long as you modify ChckOSEdt.cmd file to ...Home Premium is requried, ... Professional is requried, ...Ultimate Required, etc. Do you have to use a HP Restore disk for Win 7 Profession for Profession, and Home Premium for Home Premiium etc. Does it matter that the HP disk says Home Premium, Professional etc. Or would disk with insanebeast's procedure regardless of whatever version of Win 7 HP disk you have.

(2) Do you delete everything in the ChckOSEdt.cmd file and replace with just see attached file (ChkOSEdt2)

Code:
    [USER=156293]@rem[/USER] --------------------------------------------------
    [USER=156293]@rem[/USER]  Check Win7ConfigurationFlag and
    [USER=156293]@rem[/USER]  create the requried edition flag file
    [USER=156293]@rem[/USER] --------------------------------------------------

Or do you only delete the [CODE]:CHK_OS_FLAG portion and replace with see file (ChkOSEdt1)
    CLARIFICATION: Do you use ChkOSEdt1.txt, ChkOSEdt2.txt or ChkOSEdt3.txt. As you can tell, I am not very good at understanding scripts/programming codes.
    Thanks for your comments, assistance and interest.

Attached Files:

16. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    #38 eaponte23, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    I downloaded a HP Windows 7 Professional OEM x86 ISO the other day from that "Tirate Fay" site. Works flawlessly on my HP notebook. It has since been taking down but it's still floating around. Here's a HASH if anyone's interested in it :eek:

33D20FF18C928BA348C8E964F8FF9C8FB6C915BD

I know torrents aren't allowed so pardon me if I'm wrong posting this.

17. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    (1) From what I can tell it looks as though you will be able to install any version of windows 7 from any set of System Recovery Disks.
    (2) Use ChkOSEdt1.txt

Thanks for catching that typo on ChckOSEdt.com. Sorry for the delay, but I've written out how I installed windows 7 on my HP-TX2Z and attached it to this post. There is probably another flag that you could edit to pass the WIN7 check and avoid editing your BIOS, but I didn't really look into it. If I reinstall the OS in the future, I'll find out. Good luck.

Attached Files:

18. InsaneBeast

InsaneBeast MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    I think you are exactly right on doncerdo. If I come across a tx2z-1300 in the future I intend to record the model,serial, etc. to see if I can figure out exactly what HP is looking for in the BIOS.