Need Help With HP Recovery Kits Windows 7 Premium

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by samaarons, Oct 25, 2009.

1. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
  2. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    #43 samaarons, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks for your help. Did someone say user error. I did not notice that there should be 2 lines:

Echo [%time%] Ultimate is requried... >> C:\system.sav\Flags\ReqW7UL.flg
    GOTO END.

It is working now.

Thanks for your assistance and interest.

3. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I'm currently seeding along with about 20 others :(

PM and I can give ya the torrent file myself

4. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
  5. KPS

KPS MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I have the Pro version..

But it looks like that it contains all versions:)

6. skylark

skylark MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I wonder, does it perchance contain the elusive HP OEM SLP Windows 7 Ultimate key? :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Tried removing the ei.cfg file from the sources folder and it never bothered prompting me. Installed the Pro version regardless. Anybody know what other files I need to delete?

8. samaarons

samaarons MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    InsaneBeast I gathered that to reduce errors when swapping motherboards, when you send in your pc in for fixing with HP, they advise their techs to use the product configuration ID (PCID) to load settings, instead of manually entering. So if one can get one's hand on pcid for TX2z 1300, we may be able to use tools like an eeprom to load.
    Also, I did not have to run Run HPBC259.exe twice to change to default OS. I just used eeprom to access OS SKU, change first to non-vista and saved (dumped) and then a 2nd time, (dumped) compare the 2 and made the changes (write) and was good to go.
    Again, thanks for all your help. Your help sure did make a whole lot of difference. Thanks to the others that contributed too.:)

9. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sorry it didn't work out for you Koco. :eek: There's a Home Premium floating around but it might be the same. I'll see if I can find it. Hmmm it was put up here in the forums actually with some Rapidshare links to it. Maybe it's still up.

10. Photomotive

Photomotive MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    I've got a tx2-1025dx and it seems like I can't change the OS SKU in my EEPROM. When I used v10b.bat it executes HPBQ116.EXE and when I try to change the OS SKU to 0 so I can output and compare the results, nothing is changed. However I am able to change just about everything else.

I've done the EEPROM_1.DAT vs. EEPROM_0.DAT compare anyways but the two files are exactly the same.

Interestingly, when I set OS SKU = 0, in the System Information screen (F1 at boot) it says the pre-installed OS is non-vista.
    Even more interesting is when I try to do the Recovery using the windows 7 discs I get this:

Error found: No OS Flag set on unit, please use EEPROM to set ~OS SKU~ value = 2

I also tried running HPBC259.EXE manually but it just says: This utility is not used on this platform!
    My motherboard was replaced awhile back as part of repairs covered under warranty, do you think they put in some new one that isn't compatible with these EEPROM editors?

11. MasterHacker

MasterHacker MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    HP probably give you the same motherboard model number when replaced it but HP could have had a newer bios version installed that doesn't allow you to change the OS SKU with current EEPROM editors.

12. Photomotive

Photomotive MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    Whoops, it's working now (Installing Windows 7 Professional as I type this).

First, not all of my EEPROM was properly filled out so to speak after they replaced my mobo. (If you want a job done right...)

Second, I was having issues with the OS SKU not changing because every time I used the "Read Product Information" option to check if anything changed, it seemed to change the OS SKU back to default, so I stopped using it.

Third, I was having issues with my edited EEPROM.DAT files not being read by the editor. It was some really weird situation with the old files being cached I guess and not updated when I put the thumbdrive back in? dir command didn't help for some reason... Anyways, I got around it by restarting the laptop every time I put a new file on the thumbdrive (I was using two computers).

I double checked to make sure the change was made by writing the EEPROM from the file, then saving the EEPROM to the file right after, so I could open it again with my hex editor and see that the change was written properly.

13. Magendanz

Magendanz MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Can you tell us the offsets for the OS SKU and Win7 settings in the ESCD.DAT file?

I did a clean Windows 7 Ultimate install on an HP Mini 311-1000, which is also manufactured by Quanta and has the latest Insyde BIOS. Unfortunately, HPBQ116.exe won't recognize it, and I'm forced to use the older HPBQ189.exe which doesn't know about the new OS SKU or Win7 settings. It does, however, export and import the EEPROM, so I can do it manually if I know the offsets.

My understanding is that the SLIC 2.1 is already in there, but the SLP isn't enabled because the OS SKU is currently set to 0. If I set this to 2 for Windows 7, I'm hoping that I can activate it using the latest HP.XRM-MS and OEM key.

14. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    is there any 2 disc version anywhere.. any hints

thanks

15. Magendanz

Magendanz MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #58 Magendanz, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  16. Bebbub

Bebbub MDL Junior Member

Dec 21, 2009
    I've just unleashed the 2.1 SLIC from a Compaq CQ61-320SQ using the method above (HPBQ189.EXE). Thanks for the offsets!

17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Why bumping such an old thread????