Need INF editing advice...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Feb 9, 2016.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I think it's a registry problem. I've tried the internal card (which works fine in Ubuntu), and 2 different external USB dongles. I did get the D-Link one to work briefly, but now none of the three work. They all install without error, but none will enable. I did use a registry monitor to take a look and it appears there's something wrong with my TCPIP. Might also explain why the LAN card would only connect by inputting an IP address, on it's own, it always defaults to a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address.

Here's a snap of the area of main concern. There were more than a few "name not found", "buffer too small", buffer overrun", and a few other lesser ones. Nothing that ever said "fail", but I can't help but think these "name not founds" are upsetting things. Most having to do with networking protocols. Now to figure out how to rebuild the missing links...

Russ

Attached Files:

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    That means it's not getting an address from DHCP. See if the DHCP server is running properly and that it has a large enough address pool, and no MAC filtering, and that your DHCP client service is running at all.

Disregard those (Google the value names if you want to know what they're actually for). And start using PNG for screenshots.

3. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, good news! After wasting 2 weeks trying to fix this network card using netsh commands and registry fixes, the problem is finally solved. I read about doing an "in place upgrade" and decided to try it. Had to set compatibility on the Win7 "setup.exe" to Vista SP2 for it to see an upgrade situation, then it ran overnight. When I got up this morning just had to enter my key, and when it booted, there was a connection. Now to make a b/u of this working install, then on adding the other new drivers and my old personalizations...

Russ