Need License Template

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by philthy07, Mar 16, 2014.

1. philthy07

philthy07 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2014
    OK, bear with me while I explain...

I have what has to be one of the most ignorant freaking IT managers in the world. We have a volume license agreement from MS so we get all our keys in bulk. All of our servers, workstations, etc. are all legit and activated via online MS activation. This numb nuts wants me to go around and a) retrieve EVERY key on the machine (OS and apps like office) and then b) PRINT the keys on a sticky (just like a license key from MS- his words not mine) and put it on the outside of each computer so everyone can "see" that the machine has legit software!

I have pleaded my case with him and his boss that this is just not necessary but my argument has fallen on deaf ears. Starting next week I have to start inventorying all the machines software (easy to do with spiceworks) but I have NO IDEA how to make that stupid sticker or even what font to use. He even wants the right "color"!!!

Quit laughing and post some responses! Does anyone have a template? Any ideas how to do this without spending 3 days setting it up in Printshop (which I suck at) just to print his freaking little stickers. And yes, I have thought about just finding another job where I don't report to a Dilbert, so don't bother with that one.

Thanks...

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #2 Mutagen, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    I think they don't want you there any longer. Better give the "another job" option further consideration.

(How in the Hell does anyone know they are looking at a legit key when it is printed out?)

Start a poll: "Are my boss and my boss's boss complete morons?" If in your favor, save for future litigation.

3. philthy07

philthy07 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2014
    LOL!! Yeah, I have been down that road. I have been working for this company for 5 months and it is a pretty sweet deal so far, but when this came down the pipe I was like "what the heck?" and started working on my resume. I already explained that there is no way anyone can tell from a sticker that software is legit or not, but it seems to make them feel better. If they weren't paying for my router classes I would be OUT of here.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I've got around 100 dead bodies (PC and laptops) that came with Windows 7 stickers, do you want them express delivery? :p

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #5 Myrrh, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Point of order: you don't work for a Dilbert; you are a Dilbert working for a Pointy-Head Boss.

I suggest using BOFH techniques.

Useful argument you might not have thought of yet: Having all those keys stuck on the outside of the machine just encourages employees to make pirate copies of the company software.

Also: if those keys are MS volume license keys, it is an express violation of the agreement to make them available to unauthorized parties (i.e. the other employees) not to mention what the penalty is for making something that looks like a Microsoft COA and then sticking that on the side of a computer. Ask the boss to plainly state, in the presence of the company lawyer if possible, whether or not he is ordering you to violate the terms of the company's contract with Microsoft.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. philthy07

philthy07 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2014
    Myrrh- that did the trick. I had to go and find that language in the agreement and present it to my boss and legal (and my boss isn't real happy) but he finally backed off. Going to find another job shortly. Can't deal with this D-bag.