Need recommendations for new computer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mowerman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    My computer is several years old and although I don't have any problems with it now, I'm itching for a new one. I haven't built any for several years and have not kept up with the latest/greatest processors and motherboards. So I need some recommendations for what I should buy. I like AMD processors and Gigabyte motherboards. I'm not a gamer and prefer video to be on the MB. My hobby is photography so the most stressful program I often use is Photoshop. I will be using my current HDD's from my current computer. So, what do you folks recommend giving me the most bang for my bucks with the above mentioned parameters?

My Computer:
    Homebuilt
    W10 Pro
    Antec Earthwatts 500W PS
    Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 (onboard Video)
    AMD FX4100 3.6 GH
    8G Ram
    Samsung EVO 840 256G SSD(Sys drive)
    640 Gig WD Blk (Data & Backup Drive)
    1TB Seagate (Backup Drive)

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Depending on your budget, but I would think a Ryzen 5 or a Ryzen 3 would fit your needs. Of course you'll need to get an AM4 motherboard and DDR4 memory and a graphics card. The "sweet spot" for memory today is 16gb, but currently memory prices are at a premium

Going with Intel would be more cost effective with a G series cpu and 1151 board. The Intel chips do have on board video. The memory will still be the same
    If that Earthwatts 500w PSU is more than 5 yrs old... I would seriously consider replacing that too

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...