need reg file for desktop icons

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crabdance, Mar 31, 2010.

1. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi. I'm almost through with a mod that I'm working on and I need a reg file that will change the desktop icons to small. It needs to be a reg file (or whatever works) that takes affect immediately (no reboot). After the install and when the desktop first comes up, I want to set the icons to "small". I have found several pages on the net showing how to do this, but none have worked. Thanks for any help on this one.

One more question. I found a program that changes the desktop icons to listview mode. I like the effect very much. After running the program, it changes info in the registry. Can someone tell me where I can find this information? So far I haven't been able to find it, but I will keep looking. If I can find this information, I would like to be able to set the desktop icons to "small" and "listview" mode when the desktop first comes up.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help.

2. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    whats wrong with just right clicking on desktop and choosing view, then choosing small icons? its instant and no need for reboot.

3. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks for the reply... I'm working on a windows 7 install (mod). I need this to be done automatically as part of the installation. It needs to happen when the desktop comes up at the end of the install.

4. kdo2milger

Jan 5, 2010
    #4 kdo2milger, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    this is the reg file

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #5 sam3971, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Have you tried setting this setting in the registry?
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    "Shell Icon Size"="36"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi again. Just tried both solutions and neither seemed to work immediatelly. Not sure why. I messed with WindowMetrics before and could not get it to work. Thank you both for trying to help. Any ideas why it would not be working? Any alternative suggestions?

I really appreciate the help.

7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    You are probably getting basically an "access denied" error or something is changing it back to what it was before. I am really not sure on an alternative solution. You know you can always make your mod and leave the default icons alone(Leave it up to the end user at that point). If you ever heard of Rockersteam they do it like that. Again it is your descision though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. kdo2milger

Jan 5, 2010
    youll need admin rights to make it stick and most reg files require reboot to take effect.

9. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Ok... Thanks for the help. I will consider this closed. The only thing I will check is to make sure I'm admin. I'm supposed to be, but I'll check to be sure. At least I can get the listview to work.

I appreciate the help and you both have a wonderful night.

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    you too, sorry I could not figure it out for you dude. But you live and you learn I guess.

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Dude do this with a batch file and then restart explorer.exe that will make it happen I think....

12. searchengine

searchengine Guest

#12 searchengine, Mar 31, 2010
    make a command file with this code ... and run command

Code:
    @echo off 

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f >nul
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop" /v IconSize /t REG_DWORD /d 00000032 /f 
    start %windir%\explorer.exe >nul
    exit
    REG_DWORD /d 00000032

last 2 digits edit to size u want ... ie. 32;48;64 ...etc.

13. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    #13 crabdance, Mar 31, 2010
    (OP)
    I should have known lol... Hi SearchEngine! Thank you so much. This has been the only thing that has worked. I have looked on the net until I'm blue in the face and nothing worked until now.

Thanks a bunch my friend.

14. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    #14 crabdance, Mar 31, 2010
    (OP)
    Ok... still need a little help. I have an "Install" directory where all my software programs are to install on the system when the desktop comes up. The first thing I intend to do is change the icons... but I've run into a little problem. When I put a shortcut in the start menu folder it only executes the first command. And that is the "TaskKill" explorer one. The second command in the .vbs file runs an executable. Here's the trick.... When run from the start menu, the second command does not get executed. But if I run it directly from the "Install" directory, both commands get executed. Here is a copy of the vbs file.

Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run "icons.cmd",0, TRUE

WScript.sleep 1000

WshShell.Run "DeskView.exe",0, TRUE

Set WshShell = Nothing
    Here is a copy of the "icons.cmd" file:
    Code:
    echo off 

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f  >nul
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop" /v IconSize /t REG_DWORD /d 00000016 /f 
    "%windir%\explorer.exe"  >nul

exit
    Can anyone think of a reason why the "DeskView.exe" program does not get executed when run from the start menu (c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\startup)?

I'm ALMOST there :)
    Just need a little more help.

15. searchengine

searchengine Guest

#15 searchengine, Mar 31, 2010
    :D .... icon.cmd ERROR "%windir%\explorer.exe" >nul

Taskkill kills explorer.exe, so that the reg entry can be applied ... then explorer.exe needs to be restarted before DeskView.exe can be ran ....

should be start %windir%\explorer.exe >nul ... "start" missed.

why not just have one cmd to kill explorer; apply reg entry; restart explorer; and few seconds pause before DeskView.exe started.

Code:
    @echo off 

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f >nul
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop" /v IconSize /t REG_DWORD /d 00000016 /f >nul
    start %windir%\explorer.exe >nul
    ping -n 4 127.0.0.1 >nul
    start %~dp0DeskView.exe >nul
    exit

16. crabdance

crabdance MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    #16 crabdance, Mar 31, 2010
    (OP)
    got it...

I will try that way too, but I found another way that worked too. It was late last night (4:30am) so I didn't get a chance to write back. I put this in my oobe folder in one of my .reg files.
    Code:
    ;----------- Always run Icon Size Changer -----------------------
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Icons.cmd"="\"C:\\windows\\Install\\Icons.cmd\""

;----------- Always run DeskView -----------------------
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Deskview"="\"C:\\windows\\install\\deskview.exe\""

Works like a charm. But I will try your way too and see which one works the best.