Need to find some "LocalizedStrings" on Windows 7/8/8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by johnye_pt, Aug 21, 2014.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I replaced the Windows 8.1 Start button with IoBit Start Menu 8, and now I want to add all those options that were available when right clicking the original Windows 8.1 Start button to the "My Computer" icon on the desktop, or to the desktop right click menu itself.

I already have a working .reg file to add them (one or two still don't work but I'll figure it out), including the cascaded shutdown option, but I want to localize all resource names instead of "hard coding" them.

What I need is the correct string to add to the registry that points to each resource name, much like "%systemroot%\system32\mycomput.dll,-400" translates to "Manage", or "%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21796" translates to "Favorites".

This is what I need:

Programs and Features, Mobility Center, Power Options, Event Viewer, System, Device Manager, Network Connections, Disk Management, Command Prompt, Command Prompt (Admin), Windows PowerShell, Windows PowerShell (Admin), Task Manager, Control Panel, File Explorer, Search, Run, "Shutdown or sign out", Sign out, Shutdown, Sleep, Restart, Hibernate.

Got any idea on how I can find all these?

2. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    once you get it finished, I would like to see your results. :D

4. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    No problem! I wouldn't make it universal if I didn't intent to share it ;)
    I'll also add a 2nd reg file to delete the menu, if needed.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    uninstall is always cool, thanks lol

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Uhm... why not just use the keybind Win+X?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    because it is too easy and too obvious for some :laie:

8. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    ... and because I like things to be available to keyboard users as well as mouse/touch users. Since IoBit Start Menu replaces the original Start Menu, it won't be available by holding / right clicking the Start button, but I'll make it available by holding / right clicking on the desktop or Computer icon. I'm going to install Windows 8.1 on my brother's PC and I'll see if Win+X still works after installing IoBit Start Menu, but I'm guessing it won't. He's old school and he prefers the start menu over the MetroUI, so that's one of the reasons I'm creating this reg file.

9. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I use Stardock Start8, which also replaces the original Windows 8 start button/menu. However it doesn't remove the Win+X menu. If you move the mouse to the lower right corner - past the Windows icon - and right click you will get the Win+X menu.

Also, have you looked in here? %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    StartIsBack+ offers an option to merge Win-X into Start Buttons context menu :cool2:.

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Classic Shell does, too.