Need to run "bcdedit" as part of V2.2.1 Loader ??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by UltraFusion, Mar 11, 2014.

1. UltraFusion

UltraFusion MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2014
    I loaded Win 7 Ultimate on my old PC using a Win 7 + SP1 iso (that was already activated) and everything installed OK - I ran some updates and then ran Daz's V2.2.1 Loader and it seemed to install OK - and I now have the full use Win 7...

My question is, in the V2.2.1 instructions there was some wording as follows...
    "bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures"

I didn't run this code - should I have? - everything seems to be working but wanted to make sure I didn't leave something out, and am interested in understanding what the line of code really does...

Cheers.

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's not essential as you could just reinstall the loader, but if you don't want to worry about it then it's best to enter the command.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Are you saying it is harmless and on the contrary a good prevention to run this command? If so, then could this be possibly run using an argument on a setupcomplete.cmd for auto-activation on an Installation Media?

4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It would work great with that kind of thing. I don't do it automatically with the loader app because I don't want to adjust a users setup at all. That plus if you adjust the BCD while using TPM then you can run into problems.

I think there's a ignoreshutdownfailures parameter that may be a little better, although I've not tested it.

Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreshutdownfailures

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. UltraFusion

UltraFusion MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2014
    OK - thanks, very helpful - and for greater understanding...

If I run bcdedit, does that prevent Windows repair from running (in the event it wants/has to due to some shut down error - and fixing any errors) or does it just prevent the repair process from disabling the loader? [The latter I imagine/hope...]

Also if I run bcdedit (or maybe even if I don't) how would I be able to disable the loader from running in some situation where maybe I no longer want/need it to be active...

Many thanks again.

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The command disables startup repair fully. Often when that screen pops up and offers to run startup repair you don't actually need it to run. Windows does it as just a precaution.

The command I listed in my previous post should only disable startup repair for failed shutdowns. I don't know if it works though as I've not tested it.

You could disable the loader from running by downloading the latest version and pressing uninstall. You could also boot to your Windows 7 DVD and enter the bootsect command (see the read me file that come with the loader) but that wouldn't do the full cleanup like the uninstall does.

7. UltraFusion

UltraFusion MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2014

Excellent -appreciate the help and advice Daz - thanks for being so responsive.