Nervous about starting a new job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bluebeans, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bluebeans

bluebeans MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    Hi all

I start a new job next week in London in a bank. I have been unemployed for about a year and I am excited about finally getitng a job, however for some reason I am really nervous. I have a week before I start and I seem to be worrying about it. :( I have experience within retail and sales but all of a sudden I am dreading the thought of going back to work, like I am almost panicking about it. I hate all this unecsarry worrying I seem to put myself through,

thanks

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    That happens when you are going to a new unfamiliar place. In a day or two on the job when you meet a couple people you will feel right at home :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hi bluebeans,

i know just how it feels..
    you`re standing beside this swimming pool
    full of cold water, and you know you have
    to jump in..

so long as you are just standing there,
    pondering the situation, it scares the
    living daylights out of you..

the remedy is simple; jump!
    you`ll be fine.
    [ if you can swim. that is..]

regards,

nodnar

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Call in sick, don't go .... :D

j/k

5. bk-ks

bk-ks MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2012
    :clap3:Goodluck to you. Dont be nervous, just relax and get going.

6. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel MDL Junior Member

May 6, 2010
    It's normal to be nervous with a new job, especially if it's been that long since you worked. Just remember, the people there don't expect you to know everything as soon as you get on the job. They'll train you, show you the ways, the processes, etc... You will be given some slack for a while even if you do make mistakes. Just try to absorb the most you can, and most importantly know where to get information if you forget. Write stuff down if you have to.

My first real job out of college was helpdesk, and I was nervous as well just because there was so much to know. Different programs used for different situations, the processes to follow for the different type of calls, exceptions depending on specific customers, then the more specific details like what the different numbers mean when looking at someone's modem, and how to make a call if they have inside wiring faults etc.... all details. But really, it all comes with time and practice, don't sweat it.

Then I got a server job, had to learn new processes and such again though tbh it was not too bad as far as that went. I recently got a new job at a NOC, and for the first couple weeks I was VERY nervous and even asking myself if I'm doing badly because I'm hardly picking up. There was SO MUCH to know. I still only know maybe 10% of it all and it's been over a month, but I'm catching on. People are giving me slack and don't expect that much from me given I'm new. The boss even told me it will take about a year before I'm 100% comfortable, and even then there is always something that comes up where I wont know what to do.

You'll see that once you've been there for like a week, and it becomes routine, the nervousness will die down. Just remember that you're not expected to know the whole job as soon as you get there.

7. bluebeans

bluebeans MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    Thank you all for your responses.

Yes the first two days were ok. I never knew that working in a bank is all about sales and nothing more. If you dont sell extra products ie credit cards, accounts, isa, insurance and fail to meet your monthly target your in the red. 6 months of under achieving you are shown the door. Whatever happended to it being simple and based on customer service?

My main bug is my manager who has been rude, lazy and vile in the way he has spoken to me and I have noticed this with other people he talks to, yet they all think its fun. I am currently re doing my CV and looking to get out of this job as soon as possible!

8. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    Well mostly does bank jobs are boring,you sit the whole day with the same people and talk rubbish.
    Generally i don´t like those sitting jobs,there monotone and boring.

I like jobs where your always on the move,see new people and new places,but that´s rare to find :(

Good luck to you mate ;)

9. bk-ks

bk-ks MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2012
    Since you have experience in retail and sales, use this opportunity to build relationship with your clients, network with people, that will help when you switch jobs. Have positive approach and work to the fullest whether you like it or not. You will have a bright future.