Network files slow to open

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by pominator, Jun 7, 2016.

1. pominator

pominator MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2008
    When I open a docx file over the network, it take about 5 seconds to open instead of opening instantly. It do the same for xlsx and jpg files.

If I open the docx files with wordpad (right click on the file, open with, wordpad), it open instantly. The same for the jpg, it open by default with photo gallery but if I right click on it and open it with Photo viewer, it open instantly.

I did try to open Word first and to browse for the file on the network with the same 5 seconds delay result.

The network and computers are robust, latest generation i5 cpu with 8/16 gb of ram on computers with good cisco router.

The network have been reseted (netsh winsock reset - netsh int ip reset all - netsh advfirewall reset - ipconfig /flushdns - nbtstat -R - nbstat -RR) with no better results.

The routeur also have been restarted (not reseted however).

I wonder what could cause this ?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I started out with Office 97 and progressed through pretty much all the ensuing versions; I'm now running Office 2016. My take on the situation is over time the complexity of the Office suit programs has steadily increased and the result is it just takes longer to open files. I don't really know, this is just my observation. If I open a file with a less complex program, they do sometimes open quicker. Notepad vs. Word for text files say. But then the less complex programs are maybe doing less work getting themselves open and the data displayed. I could be all wet; I'm sure better minds will chime in.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    5 seconds is good. Nothing of Office will open instantly. Even my copy of Word 2010 from SSD will not start open in 5 seconds...

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 pisthai, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    The only solution to get it works a little faster, is to have autostart the Office apps on Windows startup! For sure, that will consume System Resources quite a bit, and also extends the Windows full startup (which is running in background till everything is loaded on Windows Start) a bit more! And there's even more which accounts, Network Traffic as instance!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Precisely what I do with Excel 2016. I use it all day long anyway so it's a case of start me immediately or start me later. Sleep works really well for me with the latest version, so I'm now doing restarts only when updates or some other process require it. Up until now, I've never cared to let the computer sleep, but so far it's been doing really well with no hangs or failures to wake up.