Network issues, please help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dragonfire665, Mar 1, 2009.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Ok here is the thing, i had to reinstall Vista on my computer and i have always follow the same steps to create a network within my 4 computers in my house, 2 laptos and 2 desktops.

Here is the issues for some reason my main desktop where the Printer and Sharin folders are already share can only connect to the other desktop which is wirelessly connected to my Belkin Router.

My other laptops, 1 is connected directly to the router and the other one is wirelessly connected, i can see them in my network but when i click on them to go in an see files already share they ask me for a User name N password.

I have change no settings within this laptop (the only thin different was a reinstallation of Vista) but sayin that i have follow the same procedure for the other many times where the same thing i had to do (reinstall Vista) and they never asked me for Password and User Name.

I can go i to the other Desktop (wireless) and see all files and get files but i cant do it to the laptops.

What can i do to fix this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it is asking for a username and password because the accounts are different.

Since you are not on a domain you can't use the same credentials to access any system. You need the same exact user name and password to access that system, as long as you have admin rights on the system you will get access to everything.

So here is an example:

Computer A - Windows XP Pro SP3 - We will say the main user name is "Mom" with no PW. That is the only account on the box besides the admin account.

Computer B - Windows Vista SP1 - 2 Accounts "Joe" and "Mom", Joe has a PW the Mom account does not and the admin account which by default is disabled

Computer C - Windows 7 - 3 Accounts "Joe", "Mom", and "me", and the admin account which is disabled

Now Joe has the same PW on both the Windows 7 and Windows Vista PC, so when he goes to access the Windows Vista PC from 7 and vise-versa he is cool and it lets him in. Now Joe tries to access the Windows XP PC, and it prompts him for a user name and PW. Why? Because there is no Joe account on the XP box, so it does not recognize the user name or PW.

So lets redo this scenario except Joe now has an account on the XP box with the same user name and PW as the rest of his boxes. The XP box will now let him in because it can match the user account to the account he is trying to login with.

Solution:

A. Make sure you have an account on all your PCs with the same user name and password you use on your Vista PC. If you don't use a password it might work it might not, you are always better off setting a PW than not.

B. Build a domain so you have access to all your PCs with the same credentials, and you can manage all your connected PCs and Users from a central location. This also gives you the ability to use group policy to push down software, set security restrictions, and default windows settings across the board.

3. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    here is the issue to that non of the computer have user name or password. They are all under the same workgroup, and they have always worked. Last friday i have to reinstall Vista, and the stepped i use to set up my network has bein the same as i always use. No changes or anything were made to the other computers, which is why is where that only one computer can connect to my computer

i see all 4 computer under the workgroup but when i click on any of the laptops which are mine and they only have administrator as a login witout a password so it just starts and go straight to desktop, now they are askin me to give user name and password. N again there is no user name or password.

To this laptop there was no change watsoever. so i dont understand why the askin for this. Firewall have the same settings on all, and sharin have the same settings for all, but only my second desktop can actually go into my computer and see my files and so i can from my main desktop to this desktop.

So sorry but still stuck, do not kno what to do

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I told you how to fix it. The account has to exist on all boxes and the password has to be the same. It can't be blank. Sometimes it works without passwords and sometimes it doesn't. The only true way to fix it is to have the account you are logged on with have password and username that is the same as the box you are connecting to.