New AMI BIOS tool for performing SSV2/3 and Dynamic SLIC Modification

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by andyp, Jan 7, 2009.

1. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    If i try to access to EZFlash or OCProfile from bios, i dont see USB disks/keys as option to flash bios/save settings, however more funny is if i access EZFlash with alt+f2 with skiping bios i see USB drives....

thanks, ill try to see how this works tomorrow.

EDIT: just tryed amimmwin on my bios to replace that ich/jmicron modules, it seems like i blamed incorrect 80h module to fast, since currently i managed to keep it normal with everything in order and it seems that it still doesnt work. Probably some differences in ICH module breaks something, since if i only replace jmicron module things are still working as they should, but as soon as i add new ich module i dont see usb drives in ezflash/ocprofile...

2. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Yeah... from the basis of my disassembling of module 80h it just contains ROM module info and nothing that could really cause the above....

Andy

3. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    #63 andyp, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Some module 80h info. From looking at the way AMIMMWIN processes it. Hard work.... so if you do use this info then please reference here. Thanks!

Code:
    module 80h

0  WORD  Absolute offset of next block (from start of module), FFFF = last block
             (note that sometimes blocks do come after a block with this field set at FFFFh - often block 51h) - this is destroyed by AMIMMWIN and can mean a bad flash
    2  BYTE  Block ID
    3  BYTE  Size of a block after this header
    4  BYTE  ??  - number of blocks after this header of size above
    x  sub module (length = number of BYTES at 3)

block IDs
    ---------
    10h - BIOS info - always 2 bytes

0  WORD  seems to mirror bytes 5 and 6 of AMIBIOSC header - (to do with seg:off calculation to absolute address)

20h - ? bootblock info

0  DWORD relative offset into BB of after $BTS string 
    4  DWORD relative offset into BB of after $BCS string

30h - bootblock - always 8 bytes

0  DWORD  relative offset of EBB
    4  DWORD  ? size of NVRAM (before EBB start)

40h - ?? reference to other modules - 6 byte blocks

0  BYTE  if DWORD at 2 = FFFFFFFFh then the n+1th module to find in the module chain (ie. if this byte =5 then the 6th module)
    1  BYTE  ?? always 10h
    2  DWORD either FFFFFFFFh in which case byte at 0 points to module in chain
             or absolute offset to the first byte of the relavent module after the module header

Seems always to always point to at least module 11h (P6 microcode), often with module 30h (?? ASUS AMI ID module) first.
    Then E1h, 40h, 60h - seem to be ? initialisation code for built in peripherals

50h - ROM Holes

each subblock
    0  BYTE  00 if ROM Hole (non-image), 01 if ROM Hole (image), 02 if NCB
    1  BYTE  FF
    2  DWORD seg:off of block in ROM hole/NCB
    6  DWORD size of block

51h - ROM Hole names

0  BYTE  ??
    1  BYTE  ??
    2  8 BYTE (or less) zero ended name string for the option blocks included in 50h

This block always seems to be unlinked (ie. it comes after a block with the next block offset of FFFFh)

60h - version - always 4 bytes 

0  4 BYTES version string as x.xx

4. myles

myles MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2008
    Does anyone know whether this will work on an Intel DX58SO motherboard with an i7-920 processor? I've tried WOW601 but i can't seem to get it to work.

5. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    AFAIK Intel BIOSes use a compression method that there are no tools for. The SLICTool won't load BIOSes it can't handle (ie. non-AMI).

Andy

6. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Advice ?

I have a ASUS P5K SE (AMI) and am going to try this new tool. I already have a successful modded bios using Zhaoling’s method however in Everest my BIOS is shown as emulated.
    Used tool v0.995 and ran on my bios. I selected DYNAMIC and UNticked mmtool. Tool says no errors - should I chance to flash or leave alone ?

7. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    #67 zort, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Thanks Zort, I'm running 64-bit Server 2008 R2 and this is probably why is reporting Emulated. I was curious that if the tool says success - I guess not alwaysThanks again

9. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    If the tools says success it means the BIOS image has been modded correctly. The flash is always the risky part even with a correct BIOS. The dynamic mod has been tested by me on a P5K however, as zort says, the dynamic method is the less tested of all. A SSV3 should be fine for your board.

If you have any problems let me know. Don't worry about everest saying 'emulated' as long as the SLIC table is there and vista is activated. You can also check with ACPIScope.

Andy

10. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Hi All,

I have added code to automate MMTool usage. I would be grateful if anyone could test this on different OSes as possible to ensure it works.

To use - select either SSV, SSV3 or dynamic. Check the MMTool box on the front screen and then check the Automate MMTool box in the options page.

Please report any problems/failures.

I am hoping if this works and is robust to make it the default option - given the increasing number of problems associated with AMIMMWIN.

Thanks
    Andy

I have tried XP SP3, Vista SP1 and 7 Beta 7000.

11. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    Seems to work for me, Asus Rampage Formula, 0802 bios, dynamic + auto mmtool on Vista64 SP2 RC-escrow.

12. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Andy

13. beppe_7

beppe_7 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2008
    use mm-tool auto works to a certain point then CMD box stops moving a says press esc to exit mm-tool but does not finish and fails

Scratch that, i tried modding one of MBIOSES modded bioes, and this is why it was failing. i downloaded one directly from asus website and dynamic went fine :) now i just have to flash and see if it activates. keep up the excellent work guys!

14. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Edit: found the BIOS in question in the other thread.

Fixed. There was a problem handling filenames with spaces. Try version 0.997.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Andy

15. Aviator747

Aviator747 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2009
    Would extracting all the required SLIC information from a Acer computer be better then using the included Asus files? If so, what would be the best way to extract the information from the bios?

I am looking to modify a bios for my Asus P6T Deluxe that should be here sometime this week.

I acquired the latest bios and your SLIC utility .997 to play with in the mean time. SSV2 seems to work flawlessly. But, if I try to do dynamic and select use MMTool, otherwise I get a error if I don't select MMTool, I get a pop up saying "Please use MMTool to replace 1b module with the 1b_slic file". I click OK and it launches MMTool with the slic modiied version of the bios file . Now I assume I select the Replace tab and then browse for the 1b module file, right? I do that and hit replace and get no errors and then click save to overwrite the slic modified bios file, then hit close and AMI SLIC mod errors on me saying it "filed to reinsert the module"

Should I worry about setting it up as dynamic or just stick with SSV2? I am not worried about making my PC unbootable as I have a Willem Eeprom programmer to reflash the chip if need be.

One final question, I am assuming that each time you want to update your bios you will have to redo the SLIC insertion routine?

I am sorry for the long winded first post. Your application looks great and should help the community out greatly. :)

Thank you for any info

16. beppe_7

beppe_7 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2008

np i am glad i came by a bug by accident :D i will try it now and let you know

P.S.

It now completes with spaces in file names great work =)

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Aviator747

Would extracting all the required SLIC information from a Acer computer be better then using the included Asus files? If so, what would be the best way to extract the information from the bios?

The ACER SLIC info is in my SLIC pack..
    :D

I am looking to modify a bios for my Asus P6T Deluxe that should be here sometime this week.

I acquired the latest bios and your SLIC utility .997 to play with in the mean time. SSV2 seems to work flawlessly. But, if I try to do dynamic and select use MMTool, otherwise I get a error if I don't select MMTool, I get a pop up saying "Please use MMTool to replace 1b module with the 1b_slic file". I click OK and it launches MMTool with the slic modiied version of the bios file . Now I assume I select the Replace tab and then browse for the 1b module file, right? I do that and hit replace and get no errors and then click save to overwrite the slic modified bios file, then hit close and AMI SLIC mod errors on me saying it "filed to reinsert the module"

Should I worry about setting it up as dynamic or just stick with SSV2? I am not worried about making my PC unbootable as I have a Willem Eeprom programmer to reflash the chip if need be.SSv2 is fine..

One final question, I am assuming that each time you want to update your bios you will have to redo the SLIC insertion routine?
    Yep!!
    I am sorry for the long winded first post. Your application looks great and should help the community out greatly. :)

Thank you for any info

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. p4spooky

p4spooky MDL Addicted

Mar 9, 2008
    #80 p4spooky, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017