New AMI BIOS tool for performing SSV2/3 and Dynamic SLIC Modification

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by andyp, Jan 7, 2009.

1. SoftwareHacker

SoftwareHacker MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2007
    Thanks - it is working
    But still 1 problem - you made it manualy and still no tool to make it automatic

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Then we need to learn to make them manually..LOL

This is not a problem..

But seriously, a tool cant do everything, and this is not that difficult to do. They are nice for most, but I dont use them as a rule, it took me <15 minutes to make this one..

All you need is MMTool, winhex, and slic.bin.......:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SoftwareHacker

Nov 18, 2007
    I know - but replace what and where??

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #164 911medic, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Tool removed until I have a chance to look at latest two problems.
    Sorry,
    Andy

6. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    klaasw - sorry about this. I will upload a new version tonight that puts the 89h byte back and doesn't default to the 8 bit checksum - It would be great if you could try that and report back. Otherwise the SSV2 code hasn't been altered for a while. I did make one change recently but that was just altering the order in which strings are zeroed to adjust the size. However all 3 areas tend to be altered to some extent so I would be v. suprised if it was this. I would be very interested to know if this fixes it......... Sorry again.

911medic - why do you think then it is OK to insert an entire SLIC table in a MSI ROM for SSV2 but not to change one byte for a checksum?? Location perhaps, but then the tool checks it is not in a module or ROM hole (or BB/EBB or header)... it is because it is after the AMIBIOSC string but then sometimes the SLIC table has to be interested after the string as there is no space, without apparent problems.

SoftwareHacker - I had hoped your problem had been fixed. If you are happy I would like to give you some test BIOSes as I just did with Joo Nam. What exactly happened this time round, was it an error before flashing, a failed flash, not booting, odd CMOS errors like last time?? If you are willing and know you can recover, then wait until tonight and I will upload a version with the 89h and no 8 bit checksum. With your help it would be great to fix this for all XFX users once and for all.

911medic/p4spooky - How about if I add a checkbox on the main screen (not in options) 'BIOSTAR compatibility' - which activates the 8 bit checksum code. That way only those who need it get it.

911medic - other than the 89h byte after the SLIC, what did you do that was fundametnally different to my tool. I removed that because Yen suggested a while back it didn't add anything. I can easily add it back.

Cheers,
    Andy

7. brigadeleiter

brigadeleiter MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2009
    where can i download slictool? drop.io link is down?!

kind regards
    brigadeleiter

8. joo nam

joo nam MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2007
    @brigadeleiter,
    AndyP is working on a new version it will be up soon.

@AndyP,
    if i may i like to make a suggestion, would it be possible for the tool to check the BIOS for manufacturer and set it to the best setting accordingly.

thanks

9. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Unfortunately it is not quite that easy. There is no reliable way to tell the manufactuer. You can serach for stings in some places but it is not always reliable (eg. not all ASUS bioses have ASUSTEK, most haev $ASUSAMI$). MSI have virtually nothing - you could go from the OEM Table ID in 1B but might not be too reliable. BIOSTAR often have a SLP string after $ODB$ but not always. I will check again, however....

I think the user will have to provide that info for it to be reliable..... or at least the tool cannot be blamed if it is wrong!

Cheers,
    Andy

10. joo nam

joo nam MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2007
    thats even better, let the user select the manufacturer from a drop down menu or choose manual setting so that means if the board is listed in the menu chances are the tool will work for them most of the time and if it is not listed they are warned that it may not work for them!

Thanks

11. p4spooky

p4spooky MDL Addicted

Mar 9, 2008
    Andy: I agree with making this user friendly, but BIOS modding comes with risk. I would prefer we leave this 8 bit checksum option unchecked by default. You may want to provide instructions to the user that this option needs to be checked for BIOSTAR boards. Don't think we need to complicate this by adding the Manufacturer option :D

12. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    The converse of that is that if someone with a Biostar board doesn't use it they end up with a bad flash.........

I will wip something up and see what you all think.

Andy

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    That is the bios modders problem for not doing their research. You are providing a fantastic tool, which enables people to do what they could not otherwise. You cant save everyone from themselves...trust me on this.:D

try to make the tool default to the popular ASUS and MSI type boards, and the rest is up to the person with the bios. I still do not use all the options that are defaulted when I do use the tool.

The difference you were asking about the recent mods was no checksum adjustment past the 1B module. This was copy and pasted as stated. I use a dummy1.rom to find the correct size, then I insert it to dummy2.rom. Then I cut the 1B.rom from the dummy2.rom and paste in the final bios as stated.

The final step is to add the slic code and add the 89h byte. Useful or not, it works. I have had mixed luck not using it, so I use it.

I do not allow the 32bit checksum on the bios I make with the tool. If it bucks the mod, I do it by hand. Its a personal thing, and I have had few problems thus far. I let it prepare the 1B module and then I add it by hand..

I like the tool, and if any opinion to the contrary was received, I apologize. The way I see it, people will always blame the tool for a bad flash. Accountability is a bitch, and people flow to the path of least resistance. And it is easier to rationalize a broken board and poor research by blaming you and your tool.:cool:

make a tool that works, leave the defaults to the most common settings, anyone with the other bios must use caution and research the options as necessary.

caveat utilitor & crescat scientia vita excolatur....Enjoy!!!:D:p

14. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    You are right once again. Look 256 bytes from the end of the bootblock in an XFX BIOS............

New version soon.......

Andy

15. SoftwareHacker

Nov 18, 2007
    Still waiting for the new version to give you the feedback

16. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    there doesn't seem to be any version available for download anymore, can someone whack up a version for download?

17. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Sorry. Have an 8 day old baby at home so don't always get the time I thought I would..... :)

New version soon. There was a problem with the last.

Andy

18. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    New version 1.00 RC2

FIX: Regress some SSV2 code that caused problem flashes
    FIX: Need for matching checksums in XFX BIOSes
    ADD: Manufacturer selection list for manufacturer specific fixes

SoftwareHacker - please try this version. I am very hopeful it will do the trick.
    klaasw - please try this version. I have fixed the problem.

Do NOT use recent versions (0.998 to 1.00RC1) for MSI/XFX mods. I am truely sorry for any problems I have caused.

What does everyone think of the manufacturer selection interface?

Andy

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ andyp, download doesn't seem to be there getting this message