New build is live 10/21/2014

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by murphy78, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geobot

geobot Guest

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I had no problems with updating the old TP to the new one on my Laptop. Everything and I really mean everything, went just OK, not a single problem and the Laptop started with all what was there as before. Only step I'd to do was to re-activbate the Enterprise.

Now, the nex step will be to update the Windows to Go on my externbal 500GB Acer USB3 HDD. There I would like to know if the update works the same way. As I used the Drive on my Laptop for installation, I'll connect it to there again and try to do the update too. If that will go the same way as on the laptops HDD, I'll need to to re-activate as well, which is just OK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    The .esd to .iso procedure via the v4-script (option 4) gave me an .iso, which I put like before on an usb-stick (via the M$ Windows-7 USB-Maker), but I was unable to do the update from within the 9841 (with WMC) nor an update via boot from the stick nor a clean install with it.

I had now to start from scratch with the 9841 and then to re-download the new version from within the 9841 and then to do an upgrade to the new build.

:eek:

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No any problem with that, works just as it should!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #125 coleoptere2007, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    No i did not install any AV, even after downloading and installing updates + reboot same situation. Only solution was to recover from previous build and upgrade again. BTW the new esd file (9860) is no keept at all after last reboot and the recover one is from first build. Thanks m$. :eek:

6. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Cheers for the tip. The download went fine, and the only reg tweak I have is for ReFS. I undid that and so far it seems to be working.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Update Windows to Go to latest build: IMPOSSIBLE

Just started with the Update using PC Settings -->Update and recovery -->Preview build where the download seems gone ok, which tookj 20min. After hit the Install now button, it started and 3min later got the message: Couldn't install Windows Technical Preview with the remark: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup!

I may have not other choice as to close and I'm not sure I could restart from the old build after that. Not really a problem because itr';s just for to testing. Still, while the Light flashed the whole time on the USB drive, I'll let that run till that stops and see what happens.

This is just to inform about updating an Windows to Go Drive.

8. jygoro

jygoro MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2011
    That's the problem I have. And I tried to get the .esd from C: but it was deleted already. Now I'm downloading the esd from the links in this forum and I hope I can apply the content with DISM.

9. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    #129 ashmicro, Oct 22, 2014
    Installed 9860, installed the 2 updates from Windows Update. Now the computer is stuck at the BIOS splash screen. Gonna enable Legacy F8 mode and see what happens.

EDIT: Working perfectly, I had a RAM hardware issue. Oops!

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't get me wrong: I wrote about the Windows to Go on external USB 3 Flash drive!! To install on an external USB3 drive, you should use to have the Enterise installed on Desktop/Laptop and start the setup the running Enterprise.

To do that, push WinKey + C, click on Search and type Windows To Go in command line, click on Windows To Go and have the external drive connected, than follow the screen advice. So it worked for me with no problems. It's just impossible to update an Windows To Go drive the same way as an desktop or laptop, it seem to ne a need of an new installation from the correponding Windows Enterprise.

11. jygoro

jygoro MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2011
    #131 jygoro, Oct 22, 2014
    No need for Enterprise, I have installed Win10TP on my external USB HDD and I only needed to apply install.wim with DISM and run bcdboot.

My problem is I did boot from my USB HDD with Win10TP, tried to update to next build and after clicking "Install now" button it shows me the same Error you said: "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup!"

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I had used that in Windows 7 Ultimate and was getting problmes on quite a bit computers while the W2G drive was work on some only!! Using the Enterprise there isn't that problem! I use the W2G for Services in my company by our customers and therefore that need to run on many different machines! That may differs for you?!

If you really need to use the Pro version, you'll have to find out the How To....., for what I using that in our service, it's just the enterprise, which are the main version our corporate customers are using and therefore we as well.

Fact seems to be that the Setup of Windows could not be used on external USB Drives. Eve I'd try to start the install of the Enterprise from DVD, I got the same error messages.

13. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #133 Atari800XL, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    OK, so I decrypted the esd, converted to wim, installed with WinNTSetup (from a Win8PESE USB).
    Seems to work OK!

Next thing I wanted to do is add NetFX3, but then I realized I didn't have an ISO to get the \sources folder from.
    I tried to mount the iso of the first Techn.Preview and take the files from there, like this:

Code:
    dism /image:c:\mount /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /source:g:\sources\sxs /limitaccess
    I didn't expect this to work, but it looks like it does (have to install it again to make sure).

So is that working "as expected"? To be honest, I expected some kind of "version mismatch" error or something...

14. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Mine failed, with 0x80246017

I never did the 'reg fix' to check for newer updates, but did check to see if the reg entry was correct, which it is.

Its installed on a .VHD which is dual booted with Windows 8.1, would that really make a difference when updating ?

15. dota

dota MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    guys, is it safe to remove the Windows.old folder?

16. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    sure but it must be done correctly via system properties

17. Jazz

Jazz MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
  18. dota

dota MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #138 dota, Oct 22, 2014
    care to elaborate more? :biggrin:

EDIT: Oops a quick googling show me the way :D nvm sir, thx!

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    perform a disc cleanup by going to drive C if this is your windows drive. Hit properties and there you find the cleanup button. There you find system files cleanup where you can check several items including old windows versions > done

20. dota

dota MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    thank you very much sir! :worthy: