New Build Part 2: PC Randomly Locks Up (freezes)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by idorace, Feb 25, 2010.

1. idorace

idorace MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    Right around 43 to 44C.

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    At the time your system locks up, have you checked for cpu usage spikes? You can watch that in the task manager.

3. idorace

idorace MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    No telling when it will happen, hard to watch for this.

4. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #24 burfadel, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Whats the model number of your mobo? GA-MA895GMT-UD2H as pointed out in an other post doesn't seem to exist?! it would be pretty poor of Gigabyte to release a motherboard without having support pages for it first, generally it should be the other way around!

I take it you bought it from a store? I've heard of cases on places like Ebay where engineering samples (aka test products) are sold, its something you definitely don't want!

Definitely start with updating the BIOS if you haven't already done so :) check the required and actual RAM voltages, and go from there!

5. idorace

idorace MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    If Mushkin lists the voltage at 1.85 - 1.95V, is this what the voltage should be set to, or is this the max? Here is a snap shot of voltages and temps at idle.

Clipboard02..jpg

One other thing, when I run the blended test in Prime95, the PC freezes right away. This is starting to make me crazy!!

6. Julius

Julius MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    yep, set your voltage to what the ram specs indicate.. that is your minimum voltage you need to set in the bios. start at 1.85

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Julius

Julius MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    see if you can post a cpu-z screenshot here

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. idorace

idorace MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    Look two posts above.

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Sounds to me like 1 of 2 problems then dude. Either your powersupply is having issues or your voltages are just too low. It could also be your ACPI settings. I swear I had the same issue and I fixed my freezing by switching a motherboard pin from "+5VSB" to "+5V" and changed my ACPI settings to "Auto". The only difference between the settings is that now I do not have Hibrid Sleep and I cannot put my computer into standby cause it turns back on right away. That was on an Asus board FYI. Good luck dude.

10. obit

obit MDL Novice

May 28, 2007
    try upping the voltage on the ram.. if its 1.65v set it to 1.75.. it worked for me.. from locking up every 10 mins now my computer locks up only 1 after 48hours.. o_O