New challenger : Toshiba S50-B-12C

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Tiripstruk31, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Tiripstruk31

Tiripstruk31 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2022
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Honestly, it is very unlikely that something happened to the BIOS. Do this test - remove the battery, then remove the hard drive and boot the computer and try to enter the BIOS. If successful, try to find and restore the factory settings and then boot with the hard drive that is likely to work or some external drive/USB if it is not in the BIOS something wrong.
    PS. If you changed HDD => SSD, did you also select AHCI in the BIOS?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiripstruk31

Tiripstruk31 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2022
    #3 Tiripstruk31, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    (OP)
    I made all these manipulations before posting a message here of course.
    I haven't explained my activity too much but I work in computer repair and classic interventions are daily and usual somewhere for me.
    So I tried everything and went so far as to try the reflow of the GPU with my station but it didn't change anything...

The led lights up, on the other hand I have the WiFi LED (orange) which also lights up and remains fixed permanently, the backlight of the keyboard which lights up and which reacts to the pressure of a key but everything else does not does not work anymore.

The PC was however 100% functional with the SSD. I'm a little desperate.

Thank you :)

4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    you've surely broken the GPU by reflowing it.

5. Tiripstruk31

Tiripstruk31 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2022
    No... I do that all the time, i have a special tool for that and i'm sure about my process... This is my job and the problem was here before the reflow.
    My problem here is to control the bios file to be sure it doesn't have any problem and maybe the eeprom is faulty.
    I don't know how to check the bios dump and clean NVRAM etc.
    Thank you

6. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Toshiba S50-B (and L50-B) have a faulty GPU that cannot be saved by reflowing. You need to replace the GPU or perform a Discrete to UMA conversion (if there's any). What you describe is a typical failure mode of that GPU

7. Tiripstruk31

Tiripstruk31 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2022
    I knew that Toshiba didn't make particularly good PCs but I didn't know that this series had this problem.
    The GPU is downright HS? Even a reball wouldn't work?
    Thanks a lot :)

8. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Nope. GPU is toast. Reball and reflow usually does nothing because the point of failure are the "micro bumps" that crack/fail (the solder balls between the silicon die and the substrate). Usually reballing or reflowing works because the GPU gets so hot that the micro bumps get connected once again (temporarily). Reballing or reflowing is a waste of time, solder and flux unless the motherboard suffered physical stress or some kind of liquid damage.

On the case of this GPU, no amount of heat will bring it back to life. Believe me, I've tried on multiple laptops like yours... You can try to grab a GPU from aliexpress or similar, but it might also fail sooner or later.

9. Tiripstruk31

Tiripstruk31 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2022
    Ok but in my case, it was indeed the Bios which was corrupted on a bit.
    Someone fixed this for me on another forum and all is well now.
    Thank you.

10. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Good to know. It will be usefull if you share the solution for other user facing the same problem on the same model. thank you :)

11. Tiripstruk31

Tiripstruk31 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2022
    Hello,

I can share here the screenshot and what he explain on board :

" Doesn’t look too bad, but you have one changed bit in a possibly vulnerable area: "

Thank you.

Attached Files: