New CPU,Mobo,RAM, Reinstall Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by superleeds27, Dec 4, 2011.

1. superleeds27

superleeds27 MDL Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Been told to reinstall windows after installing it all.

I havent and it seems to be working fine. My previous motherboard was a P31-DS3L and my new board is a Z68AP-D3.

Is there any need to have to reinstall everything?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Do what you're told and have fun.

A clean install of Windows is highly recommended when changing motherboard.
    If not you could end up with crashes, freezes and bsod.

3. superleeds27

superleeds27 MDL Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I see!

Guess ill dig out Robocopy. Want to keep Timestamps and Date modified/created, of my songs. Like the newest at the top ;)

Tis a pain reinstalling everything!

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I had to change my MB in June 2011 and although it booted properly, it asked for reactivation and what not.
    I think it is better to reinstall OS at least on a change of motherboard. Good time to get a absolutely new system plus the motherboard specific drivers. Takes only 3 hours for me to install, customise, enter site specific passwords (gmail, MDL, etc), and personalise everything.
    After that, get a system backup solution and image the C:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Yeah once i changed my motherboard and had to reinstall everything.
    The date and time where set to a different time and everything was different so best is to reinstall windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. zorror

zorror MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2013
    I second that reinstalling is neccesary when you change a major part ie. motherboard so as to remove obsolete drivers and cleanup windows to avoid any future BSODs which happen quite often due to changed hardware.

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Make sure to save all your files first...

Go to the new boards site to get their very latest drivers, they might be newer than the ones on the disc which will have come with the board.

Installing a new OS, takes roughly half hour, well if using a USB stick. Which is the best way really. Then another hour or so putting you fav apps in. Good time to hunt down the latest versions too.