New Dell BIOS editing (boot logo)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Googolplex, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Googolplex

Googolplex MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2014
  2. aaronvesthp

aaronvesthp MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2013
    Googoplex, did you every make this work? I'm trying to enable AHCI on a Optiplex 390. Ive got the HDR file and used AMIBCP to edit the sata mode but don't know how to load the Bios.HDR back in.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    OP390 dues to hardware used (Intel H61 Express Chipset Sata 2.0 ) can NOT work in AHCI mode
    No edit will make it happen! It is HARDWARE limitation!

sebus

4. Googolplex

Googolplex MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2014
    We have bought an CH341 eeprom tool. Read the bios to a 16MiB .rom file, loaded it into Phoenix Tool and edited it. Then flashed the edited .rom file and the laptop didn't boot again. So, my first experience in hardware flashing a bios has been a bad experience. When anyone has any better idea's or successful experience, I'd love to hear it.

Regards

5. opssemnik

opssemnik MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    you cant modify the bios on IT, skylake has a protection against unsigned bios, any custom bios will cause failure to boot.

6. bartsam

bartsam MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2017
    Googolplex, hi.
    Have you tried to proceed it in another way, recommended in:
    \phoenixtool266\readme.pdf
    file?
    It says:
    For Dell: use either the modified EXE created by the tool or run the original BIOS EXE with
    ‘-readgzfile BIOS.GZ’
    (minus quotes) as command line

So, it should be simple.

Good luck,
    BartSam.

7. Assimilator_X

Assimilator_X MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2017
    Hi Googolplex,
    I have successfully edited my brand new Dell Latitude 14 Rugged 5414 uefi firmware on hardware level. As i am working in IT my mania is to back up everything i can including firmware dumps too. As they are more useful to me than a dell provided crappy exe flasher that i have no access at all. Like you mentioned i also could not find the way to unpack the exe. like i did on my older Alienware M17R2 and R3 models with AMIBios and InsydeBios. You need a more advanced tool than the CH341. Tools i used: a TL866A programmer a SOP8 Chip socket a SOP8 testclip and some a soldering station but when i flashed with the clip as the chip was still soldered onto the MainBoard i had to insert the battery back in the laptop to give power to the chip any other try was a failed attempt. The problem i was facing is that my ME was disabled and dell tech messed up my Service tag after a System board change. so my Service tag was no longer matching the label anymore. 1st i de-soldered the flash (Winbond 25Q128FV) 128mbit (16MB) and put it into my TL866A flasher and read it out. Now the fan part hex editor I am using BrakePoints HexWorkshop 6.8 officially. and started looking for the string of the messed up Service Tag. with option to find all instances and list all after that i find it. in a format of X.X.X.X.X.X.X separated with a dot hex 00 120 times in my firmware. Also i find the Owner tag and some very interesting parts that i will play in the future or remove etc etc so no protection at all Removed computrace and intel me firmware just by filling their section with 00h or FFh as it was useless anyway to me. My laptop is an i3 version and single bios MB now i soldered the second winbond 25Q128FV in no problem so far. And all this done on the latest firmware for the 14 rugged 1.14.0 just released last month.