New HP custom build in coming Windows 8 question....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FattysGoneWild, Oct 13, 2013.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I have a new custom build HP Envy desktop arriving real soon. Am I able to do a clean install of Windows 8? Or is it to tricky to even attempt? I am actually hoping it comes with 8.1 since the estimated ship date is the 23rd. If a clean reinstall can be pulled off. I have my Windows 8 Pro cd from my other machine. My new HP is coming with the standard version of Windows 8. So, don't know if the Pro disc would work by just unlocking the standard version.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I am bad and do apologize to all. I just wanted a quick and simple answer. Not knowing if new methods or easier method has popped up. Seems like a big pita this time around with Windows 8. :mad:

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #4 Smorgan, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    Custom rig doesn't even deserve a mention to the HP Envy as its an all-in-one PC. That you can't really modify after getting it.

It will likely come with windows 8 as we have just gotten to the general availability of Windows 8.1 on October (what was it) 17th.

As of now there are no methods to do an OEM activation of 8.1 or loader activation.

Going on Windows 8.1 is at best a marginal improvement of Windows 8 by expanding on the Metro user interface which would be handy for you in this case along with some fixes here and there to the OS in the kernel department. In all honesty the amount of difference is negligible to what your getting with windows 8. I would say see how you like Windows 8 before going to windows 8.1 as you are getting a touch enabled desktop computer.

Hardware critique wise this is somewhat of a sub-par desktop machine from what I saw of the specs being included with it. Well it is a blowout sail for a reason.

5. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I have been on Windows 8 since day 1. Previously used Windows 7 on day 1 as well. I use Start 8 and have found it very acceptable to use. Its faster and more secure then 7. 7 is still a beastly OS and use it on another machine. As for the new pc. Its not a all in one. I think you got confused? I ordered the following specs with a EVGA GTX 660 as the AMD replacement card. Thanks again guys for the input. I hope some day soon we have a easy way of doing a clean install on a OEM machine just like 7.

• Windows 8 64
    • 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 processor[3.4GHz,8MB Shared Cache]
    • 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7670 [DVI, DP,HDMI, VGA via Adapter; DX11]
    • 8GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMM ]
    • 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    • No Secondary HDD
    • Microsoft Office Trial
    • No additional Security Software
    • SuperMulti DVD Burner
    • 15-in-1 Card reader, 2 USB 3.0(top), 2 USB 2.0(front)
    • No TV Tuner Card
    • Integrated Sound, Envy Audio; Beats Audio
    • HP USB keyboard and optical mouse with volume control
    • Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R )(2x2)
    • 460W Power supply

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    My 2 cents: Seems like a pretty decent piece of hardware. I would 99.99% expect that it has Windows 8 Core installed, with Secure Boot enabled. Before messing with it, I would get something like Acronis, EaseUS or Paragon and make a backup image to another hard drive, along with a bootable USB flash stick. I know Acronis True Image Home v14 and Paragon Hard Disk Manager v12 work - I use them both.

I would also check the HP forums. I'm sure you are not the first to ask or attempt this. Have fun. (It's always fun getting new hardware. I wonder what that bastard Santa is bringing me this year?)

7. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010