New HP Envy dv7-7255dx

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TONPumper, Nov 24, 2012.

1. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I really should have done that but I didn't want the bloatware. I really didn't think this would be this huge of a hassle. Since I have legacy mode enabled, will I be able to use my shortcut keys (ESC, F2, F10, etc.) to enter the BIOS setup? So far, the only time that it gives me the shortcut keys is when the system fails to boot. :fear2:

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #22 PhaseDoubt, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    Lesson for all of us: Murphy's law states: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". That's why we have backups and escape and recovery plans of one sort or another. We've all fallen victim to Murphy's Law at one time or another.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No worries I was just trying to give advice as usual sometimes to late, but you do get older and younger members come on want to get rid of the bloatware on there new computer :rolleyes:
    I cannot help now as regards to your recovery partition if you have taken the advice from some members earlier on scrub all partitions and start fresh not good advice for a novice user :eek:

P.S. to many pint's now

4. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    It's not a problem. I finally got everything fixed and my computer is functioning properly! Thanks for your help everyone! :)

5. gallen2000

gallen2000 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2012
    Did you install Windows 7 SP1? I only had Windows 7 (no service pack) and it failed to install by giving me an error:

Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer's hardware" and then goes into infinite loop.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if you are using a USB windows 7 made with Yumi or some non MS tool then u have to remove usb when its done on first reboot.

7. gallen2000

gallen2000 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks. I did remove my USB Win 7 key right after the first reboot starts. The installation continus after it but then failed with an error dialog saying "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer's hardware".

8. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Or why HP/Windows 8 should just allow you to downgrade.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The way I see it, I can't control what any person or corporations does. However, I can control what I do and it just makes sense to me to use worst case analysis: hope for the best but plan for the worst.

10. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    The HDD in my new computer seems to be dying. If someone dropped it, would the results be immediate? I mean, it was working fine last night.

11. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    It depends on the scenario. One drop is not going to make a hard drive die unless it was a pretty hard drop.

12. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    That model comes with HDD drop protection (HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection) and should have been protected from most bumps and drops.

If you feel the HDD ws damaged in such a manner, call HP. If it's still under warranty, HP may make it right for you.

13. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Even if I formatted the drive and erased everything?

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    That's why I used the phrase "may make it right"; they may not. But if all else fails, and your machine is FUBAR, giving HP a try isn't going to hurt a thing.

15. niles

niles MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    Windows 7 Installed on HP Envy DV7

TONPumper,

Thanks for providing us with the confirmation that it can be done. Many others, myself included, might find a more detailed installation description useful. I for one have been struggling to get this on my DV7 for quite a while. Here are some questions to jog your brain:
    What is the version of 7 you installed? SP1? x64?
    Did you need to load any boot drivers for storage?
    Did you format all partitions including UEFI?
    What drivers did you discover were missing after you got it installed?

Thanks in advance!

16. niles

niles MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    My Own Update

It required installation media for Windows 7 with SP1. My disc without SP1 didn't install and errored out. I used x64. No boot drivers required, I blew away all partitions.

Regarding drivers I installed a few that HP says are for this machine using Windows 8. So far I have the chipset installed, the graphics card, and wifi but audio wasn't needed. The RAlink software for wifi worked great, but realtek failed for LAN. Do I really have two network card manufactures in this? wow.

Anyways, this is far more encouraging that I thought.

17. kimstan

kimstan MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    Installing windows 7

Am having a problem maybe similar on my notebook hp dv7 laptop am trying to install windows 7 but keeps telling me "windows cannot configure to work with hardware for this computer. I need help because i dont know what to do.someone help

18. niles

niles MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    Requires the SP1 windows 7 install media. I had the same problem.

19. g2dab

g2dab MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    I also had to downgrade an HP laptop from W8 to W7. If it were mine, I may have just kept 8 to see if I could get used to it, but I bought the laptop for my son who is only familiar with 7 - and I can't teach him what I don't know how to use myself, lol. It wasn't what I would call fun, but it wasn't that difficult really. Most of the drivers that were already installed for 8 are fully compatible with 7 also, but HP won't tell you that unless you have a business class laptop with "downgrade rights" from MS, go figure, lol. Just make sure you already know what you need to do before you get started or you can end up with serious problems - If you don't disable secure boot in the bios, your pc will NOT boot again after installing another OS. I chose to keep UEFI and GPT with mine, mainly because I hadn't done it before and always up for learning new things. I spent alot of time on google, there are quite a few nice write ups on the process, I'd post the links but don't have them anymore, they turn up quite easy on google but if you need them let me know.. It was W7 Ultimate SP1 x64, installed on an HP Envy DV6-7260he.

The mistake I made was not looking into my activation options prior to deciding to use uefi, I'm now learning that I can't use the normal process, Windows Loader, and may have to reformat using an MBR.. I'm hoping to avoid that, but I don't know if I will be able to - will hopefully find out soon though, about to ask that question in the forum. If you have the same concerns, there will be a thread for it in a few. ;)

g2dab