New Motherboard - Vista and 7 won't install

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by creeve4, Sep 10, 2009.

1. creeve4

creeve4 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
  2. Mannlich

Mannlich MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    It sounds like you've done a very detailed job testing the components. At this point, I think it is safe to say that it is a motherboard issue.

3. creeve4

creeve4 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Thank you, that is the confirmation I needed

4. creeve4

creeve4 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    yes, I have

5. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Everything is possible, motherboard, and or a combination with others. I got the experiences with aging parts, which are not yet dead but deteriorated to just marginally functioning, power supply in particular. It is rare to a new mobo if you can enter setup and it shows the voltages are within limits. May be you need to test the mobo with a functioning system.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I would say it has to do with the installation media or the board. We have many of these boards on the forums, running all kinds of different variations of vista/w7 in many different boot configs..For yours not to narrows things down.

RMA perhaps..Did you try to install another OS..XP or Linux..?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. creeve4

creeve4 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    I tried xp again this morning, it wouldn't install either. I played with the old ASUS motherboard (Disconnected the front USB connector) and was able to get the system going again using it instead of the new Gigabyte mobo. I will be RMAing the Gigabyte.

8. Joe42

Joe42 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    This is a little late I know, but just to throw it out there, the problem could even be bad media. I've seen it so many times.

Low quality media, whether it's generic crap or low end name brands like Memorex, or even gimmick media that looks like vinyl records can all cause weird problems.

Before buying any media, take the time to do a little research on the various optical media available, the dyes and materials used, what plants they come from, etc.

And be aware that just because some media has a well known brand name on it, doesn't always mean that's what you are getting.

Also be sure to read your burner's supported media list. It can make a difference.

The research will pay off in the long run.

When I got my first dvd burner ages ago, I did the research and went with Ritek and rarely ever had a bad disc. I've since switched to Verbatim simply because I can get it locally, it's cheaper, and it's every bit as good.

As for bad hardware, I know how that is. I built my current rig almost 2 years ago and had to buy 3 different mobos, an Asus and 2 Gigabytes, all sealed retail boxed from Newegg, before I got one that works. There's still lots of bad hardware on the market today and not just at Newegg.

Asus in particular doesn't even make their own mobos anymore. To cut costs, they've outsourced to Foxconn I think and quality has declined because of it.

9. mickyjim

mickyjim MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    longshot

I know its a longshot but i spent ages trying to get a system going with all the same symptoms as you trying everything i discovered that the cmos jumper was on the wrong pins !!!!!!!!! it was a new mobo aswell worth a shot:eek::eek:

10. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    It could actually be many things. I was installing Windows XP SP3 on this one friend's computer and mistakenly left my mp3 player in the USB port and the computer wouldn't even start because it was trying to boot off the mp3 player.

Your error could be hard drive related. In order to install Windows XP SP3 I have to change from Raid-AHCI setting to Raid-SATA setting for it to even work. That's the only thing I can think of it being. I know that same friend's computer I tried to put Windows 7 on it and after the loading windows screen it would get the BSOD with the same error. But I didn't try messing around with BIOS settings.