New RAM at more than 2000mhz?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by monsow, Jan 9, 2013.

1. monsow

monsow MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2013
    Hey guys!

I just bought a new computer, which comes with 16GB 1600mhz ram. However, when I checked my BIOS, it said my ram was at 1333mhz, so I went to change that (again in the BIOS), but I noticed, that while I could select 1600mhz, I could also select more than 2000mhz (I cannot remember the exact number, sorry)?? How come I can chose such high ram, and should I do it, or does it somehow damage my ram?

Thanks for the answers guys (I probably wont be able to answer your replies today, sorry)

2. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #2 jabberwocky, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    it depends on the rest of your system specs too , often its a safe bet to set your memory to auto in bios ,as it will set itself based on other factors such as processor type etc . to give you an example ,many AMD phenom chips have a memory controller set to 1333 as its native speed ,and motherboards will often set your memory at that speed regardless of what memory speed you have fitted 1600-1866-2000 etc , regardless of this you can of course override these speeds and effectively overclock (in some cases to distruction) usually you will get a warning if you attemt non standard settings .
    set it at 1600 by all means but keep an eye on your system , you may start encountering "hangs" when using the internet or graphic reliant programs ,then you can try to switch back to 1333 and see if it cures it , but dont expect a noticeable rise in overall performance either way ,unless you are obsessed by speed and dragging every last ounce of performance out of your PC ,play the safe game . some motherboards will indeed allow ou to choose very high settings ,but will reset to safe settings during reboot anyway .
    i know a few PC users that spend all of thier time constantly searching for speed ,overclocking and changing hardware at an increased rate ,and hardly ever use thier PCs for anything constructive , just for bragging rights ,but at the end of the day weather we decide to tweek or not ,the end result must be a reliable PC .

3. monsow

monsow MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2013
    Ok thanks! I will just let it stay at auto :)

4. michelan

michelan MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    I use in my own computer

G.Skill Trident X Series DDR3 2400 mhz (original frequency, not OC)
    it work perfectly
    and now I don't want to change for nothing else.

5. I966

I966 MDL Junior Member

Nov 28, 2009
    my laptop bus is 1066 and ram bus is 1600

it is normal wont slow the laptop as if it was vice versa
    so dont worry

regards